Archduke Ernest of Austria
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (October 2012)
Portrait by Alonso Sánchez Coello c. 1580
|Born||15 June 1553|
|Died||20 February 1595 (aged 41)|
|Father||Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor|
|Mother||Maria of Spain|
Born in Vienna, he was educated with his brother Rudolf II, Holy Roman Emperor, in the court of Spain. In 1573 and 1587, he was a candidate for the throne of Poland. From 1576 onwards, he was governor in the Archduchy of Austria, where he promoted the counterreformation. In 1590, he became governor of Inner Austria as regent for his young cousin Ferdinand, and from 1594 to 1595 he served as governor of the Spanish Netherlands.
He died in Brussels in 1595.
- Joseph Haydn, James Bertrand Payne: Haydn's universal index of biography from the creation to the present time: for the use of the statesman, the historian, and the journalist, E. Moxon, 1868. pp. 156
- Press, Volker (1990), "Maximilian II.", Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German), 16, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 471–475; (full text online)
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1861). . Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich [Biographical Encyclopedia of the Austrian Empire] (in German). 7. p. 19 – via Wikisource.
- Wurzbach, Constantin, von, ed. (1861). . Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich [Biographical Encyclopedia of the Austrian Empire] (in German). 7. p. 112 – via Wikisource.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 15 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- Priebatsch, Felix (1908), "Wladislaw II.", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 54, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 688–696
- Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor at the Encyclopædia Britannica
- Stephens, Henry Morse (1903). The story of Portugal. G.P. Putnam's Sons. pp. 125, 139, 279. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Holland, Arthur William (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 17 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. . In Chisholm, Hugh (ed.).
- Poupardin, René (1911). . In Chisholm, Hugh (ed.). Encyclopædia Britannica. 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Boureau, Alain (1995). The Lord's First Night: The Myth of the Droit de Cuissage. Translated by Cochrane, Lydia G. The University of Chicago Press. p. 96.
- Noubel, P., ed. (1877). Revue de l'Agenais [Review of the Agenais]. 4. Société académique d'Agen. p. 497.
- Harris, Carolyn (2017). Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting. Dundurn Press. p. 78.
Peter Ernst I von Mansfeld-Vorderort
| Governor of the Habsburg Netherlands
Pedro Henriquez de Acevedo