|Birth name||Ashutosh Ganguly|
3 August 1980 |
London, United Kingdom
|Years active||2009 – present|
Ash King (born Ashutosh Ganguly) is a singer, Songwriter and composer of half Bengali and half Gujarati origin based in London. He made his playback singing debut in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Delhi-6.
Ash King hails from a family of musicians who has shaped his relationship with music. His grandfather Brajendra Lal Ganguly was the first Indian classical music teacher at Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore's home and school Shantiniketan, and also a prominent freedom fighter for India and close ally of Subhas Chandra Bose and first cousin of Kishore Kumar's father. King spent his childhood surrounded by celebrated musical artists with whom his father worked closely with. Music has always run in his family. His father used to perform with Ravi Shankar in India back in the sixties. He recalls that when he was very young, George Harrison visited their house at Wembley as he was into Indian classical music. His mother hails from Karamsad, Gujarat.
Influenced early on by joining a Gospel choir and listening to soul artists such as Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Al Green and Luther Vandross, King’s style and flavor deliver a sound that is easy on the ear and alluring even for those who aren’t drawn to his specialized genre. However, you would be mistaken to think King’s talents lie in just the one genre.
His first Bollywood break was with A. R. Rahman on the film Delhi-6 which he recorded at Rahman's personal studio. Rahman invited King, to his London home after friends sang his praises. He was so impressed with the 25-year-old's voice, he flew him to Chennai to record in his private studio. Since then he has gone on to sing Te Amo for the film Dum Maaro Dum, I Love You for the film Bodyguard and featured on Suno Aisha from the film Aisha.
Ash is also a prominent singer in the UK, having sung and co-written the song Love Is Blind which he sang with singer Ramzi and featured on the song Look For Me with Hard Kaur. In 2011, Ash performed at some of the biggest events in the UK including performances at Glastonbury Festival for the BBC and also performed on the main stage at the BBC London Mela.
After 2011, in 2012 Ash was appointed for a Bengali song "Kothin" of Bojhena Shey Bojhena film. He also took part in MTV India's prestigious 'MTV Unplugged' - Series 2, with a whole episode dedicated to his hits. Other performers included A R Rahman, Sunidhi Chauhan and Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan. In April 2013 he headlined a concert at the prestigious Southbank Centre in London, alongside Sufi/Bollywood singer Harshdeep Kaur.
- Look For Me
- Take It Easy
- Love Is Blind
- Bad Romance Remix from Lady Gaga Just Dance Album with Lady Gaga, Lush, Wedis and Young Thoro
- Revels, 2017 at Manipal Institute of Technology.
|Award Ceremony||Category||Nominated work||Result||Ref.(s)|
|10th Mirchi Music Awards||Male Vocalist of The Year||"Baarish" from Half Girlfriend||Nominated|||
- "Ash King wishes to make Gujarati music a global phenomenon". Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Das, Mohua (June 12, 2012). "Ashutosh tells us about Ash". The Telegraph.
- "Dum Maaro Dum". Bollywood Hungama. 17 March 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Bodyguard". Bollywood Hungama. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Lady Gaga's 'Just Dance' Deewaan Remix Featuring Ash King". Desi Hits. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Ash King In The Spotlight". Naach. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Ash King + Shammi Pithia - Until I Hit The Ground Glastonbury 2011". YouTube. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Jay Sean, Jazzy B, Lehmber Hussainpuri, Mumzy Stranger and Ash King joined the London Mela line up". BBC Asian Network. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Seven Singers Come Together this Holi to Celebrate Unity with Deewaren". Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.