Stree (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Amar Kaushik|
Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K.
|Written by||Sumit Aroraa (Dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K.|
|Story by||Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K.|
|Edited by||Hemanti Sarkar|
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||est. ₹145.15 crore|
Stree (transl. Woman; Hindi pronunciation: [st̪ɾiː]) is a 2018 Indian Hindi-language comedy horror film directed by Amar Kaushik and produced by Dinesh Vijan and Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K. under the banner of Maddock Films in association with D2RFilms. It is based on the Indian urban legend Nale Ba, about a witch who knocks on people's doors at night. Stree stars Rajkummar Rao and Shraddha Kapoor. Pankaj Tripathi, Aparshakti Khurrana, and Abhishek Banerjee appear in supporting roles.
In late November 2017, Vijan selected Rao as the lead actor for his next production. As part of preparation for his role, Rao learned to sew. In December, Kapoor was confirmed as the film's female lead. Kaushik was brought in as the film's director in January 2018. Principal photography began on 13 January 2018 in Chanderi. Filming took place in Bhopal and Mumbai; the final schedule was completed in May 2018. The soundtrack was composed by Sachin-Jigar with lyrics written by Vayu, Badshah and Jigar Saraiya.
Stree had its theatrical release on 31 August 2018. It received positive reviews from critics, with praise directed to the film's ingenuity, but received some criticism for its runtime. With gross earnings of over ₹145 crore (US$20 million) against a budget of ₹23 crore (US$3.2 million), Stree emerged as a commercial success.
The residents of Chanderi believe in the myth of an angry woman ghost, referred to as "Stree", who stalks men during Durga Puja festival. This is explained by the sudden disappearance of these men, leaving their clothes behind.
Vicky, a tailor in Chanderi, falls in love with a mysterious, anonymous girl who is only seen during that festival season. Her frequent disappearances makes his friends suspicious, and they start believing that she could be the Stree haunting the city, but Vicky believes that his friends are only gossiping. After one of his friends, Jaana, disappears in the same fashion, Vicky attempts to research the myth and its verifiability. Vicky comes across a book in a library owned by a paranologist, Rudra, who had studied the myth. Some pages of the book, however, appear to be torn. Stree attacks Vicky but is driven away by Vicky's crush. Jaana is recovered, but he begins behaving abnormally. The next morning, more men are found to be missing from Jaana's doings. The girl suppresses the friend.
Vicky and the girl meet the book's author, who informs them of a prophecy pointing to a saviour from Stree, who is later found to be Vicky. Vicky, his friends, and the girl attack Stree, but Vicky leaves her alive after cutting her magical hair, which renders her powerless. His mysterious girlfriend is seen at the bus station the next day, where Vicky bids her farewell without asking her name. While on the bus, the girl is revealed to be carrying the hair Vicky had cut from stree, which she places with the rest of her own hair, as all powers of a witch reside in her hair. She disappears from the bus, suggesting that she could be that witch.
Stree visits Chanderi again the following year and finds her statue at the town entrance with the words "O stree, raksha karna" (Hindi for Hey woman, protect us) instead of "O stree kal aana" (Hindi for Hey woman, come tomorrow).
- Rajkummar Rao as Vicky
- Shraddha Kapoor as an unnamed woman
- Pankaj Tripathi as Rudra
- Aparshakti Khurrana as Bittu
- Abhishek Banerjee as Jaana
- Flora Saini as Stree
- Vijay Raaz as Shastri
- Aakash Dabhade as Narendra
- Atul Shrivastava as Vicky's father
- Nora Fatehi (special appearance in song "Kamariya")
- Kriti Sanon (special appearance in song "Aao Kabhi Haveli Pe")
On 28 November 2017, it was reported that Dinesh Vijan had finalized Rajkummar Rao to be the lead actor for his next film which would be a horror comedy written by Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K.. On 5 December 2017, Shraddha Kapoor informed through her Twitter handle that she would be working with Rajkummar Rao and Maddock Films in their next film. On 11 January 2018 it was revealed that the title of the horror comedy would be Stree and Amar Kaushik would be the director of the film. According to director Amar Kaushik, Rajkummar Rao plays the role of a Tailor in the film, while Shraddha Kapoor's role is that of a mysterious woman. As part of preparation for the role, Rajkummar was provided with a sewing machine and a tailor would visit him everyday for a period of 20 days so as to teach him the process of sewing clothes. The film's premise was based on the Indian urban legend Nale Ba.
Principal photography of the film began on 13 January 2018 in Chanderi, Madhya Pradesh and the first schedule was wrapped up on 30 January 2018. The second schedule of shooting took place in Bhopal in the month of March. According to producer Dinesh Vijan, the location in Bhopal was chosen because of the mysterious stories associated with the place. After reaching the place, the locals informed the production team about the unexplained events that had taken place in the area and the safety precautions that they must follow. Keeping in mind the advice given by the locals, a set of guidelines to be followed by everyone were created and placed in all the rooms inside the fort. Kapoor finished filming half of her schedule within 10 days. The final schedule of shooting was completed on 1 May 2018. After completing the shooting, a promotional song was filmed in Mumbai with Rajkummar Rao and Shraddha Kapoor during May 2018.
|Soundtrack album by Sachin-Jigar|
|Released||22 August 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music for the film has been composed by Sachin-Jigar. A song "Kamariya" featuring Rajkummar Rao and Nora Fatehi is also added in the soundtrack of the film. The lyrics are written by Vayu, Badshah and Jigar Saraiya.
|1.||"Milegi Milegi"||Vayu||Mika Singh, Sachin-Jigar||2:33|
|2.||"Kamariya"||Vayu||Aastha Gill, Divya Kumar, Sachin-Jigar||3:08|
|3.||"Nazar Na Lag Jaaye"||Vayu||Ash King, Sachin-Jigar||3:26|
|4.||"Aao Kabhi Haveli Pe"||Badshah, Jigar Saraiya||Badshah, Nikhita Gandhi, Sachin-Jigar||2:53|
Stree had its trailer released on 26 July 2018. It was released worldwide on 31 August 2018. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise directed to the film's entertainment aspect, dialogues, frightening moments, and performances, despite receiving slight criticism for its long runtime. On review agreggator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has rating of 78%, with an average rating of 6.3/10. Stree had collected ₹6.83 crore in India on the first day. In its first weekend, the film crossed ₹32.27 crore in India, earning over it production budget of ₹20 crore. It crossed ₹60.39 crore in its first week run. With a box office earning of over ₹108 crore (US$15 million), Stree emerged as a commercial success, and is one of the most profitable Indian films of 2018. Stree has been confirmed to have a sequel, one that would clear unexplained parts of the film perceived as plotholes.
- "Rajkummar Rao to star opposite Shraddha Kapoor in a horror comedy". The Indian Express. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "'Stree' to release on August 31". The Times of India.
- "'Stree' to release on August 31". Business Standard.
- "Box Office: Worldwide collections and day wise break up of Stree". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- "Shraddha Kapoor bonds with Pankaj Tripathi on the sets of 'Stree'". The Times of India.
- "Aparshakti Khurana excited about three films releasing back-to-back". The Times of India.
- "Stree - Teaser". YouTube.
- "NOT Shraddha Kapoor, but THIS actress essayed the role of Stree in Rajkummar Rao-starrer".
- "Rajkummar Rao unveils first look of Stree". Mumbai Mirror.
- "After Dilbar, Nora Fatehi to sizzle in Rajkummar Rao, Shraddha Kapoor's Stree". Mid Day.
- Rakshit, Nayandeep (11 August 2018). "Kriti Sanon shoots her first item number for 'Stree'". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Rajkummar Rao to play leading man in Dinesh Vijan's horror comedy film". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Rajkummar Rao to star in Dinesh Vijan's horror-comedy". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Shraddha Kapoor to feature with Rajkummar Rao in Dinesh Vijan's horror-comedy". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Shraddha Kapoor joins Rajkummar Rao in Dinesh Vijan and Raj-DK's next!". DNA India.
- "IFFAM: 'Newton' Star Rajkummar Rao Signs Horror Comedy". Variety.
- "Rajkummar Rao, Shraddha Kapoor begin shooting for horror-comedy titled Stree". Hindustan Times.
- "Title of Rajkummar Rao and Shraddha Kapoor's horror comedy". DNA India.
- "Rajkummar Rao, Shraddha Kapoor's film is tailored, with a hint of the supernatural". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Shraddha Kapoor-Rajkummar Rao's characters in Stree revealed and it will make you curious". International Business Times.
- "Did Stree teaser give you chills? Real 'Nale ba' story behind the movie will give you nightmares". International Business Times.
- "Lucky 13 for Shraddha Kapoor and Rajkummar Rao". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Shraddha Kapoor and Rajkummar Rao zoom off to Chanderi for 'Stree'". DNA India.
- "Rajkummar Rao And Shraddha Kapoor Wrap Stree's First Schedule". NDTV.
- "Rajkummar Rao finishes first schedule of 'Stree'". The Times of India.
- "Shraddha Kapoor And Rajkummar Rao Singing Dil Se Is Pure Gold". NDTV.
- "Shraddha gets a notice". Hindustan Times.
- "Shraddha Kapoor and Rajkummar Rao to shoot for Stree at a haunted location in Bhopal; get statutory warning". Pinkvilla.
- "Here's how long Shraddha Kapoor will be shooting for her film Stree". Filmfare.
- "Rajkummar Rao completes shooting for Amar Kaushik's Stree". Cinestaan.
- "Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao BURN the dance floor at Stree wrap up party". Bollywood Hungama.
- "STREE: Shraddha Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao to shoot in Mumbai and here are the details". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Stree - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Saavn.
- "Sachin-Jigar on composing for Bollywood: Trust and challenges bring out the best in us". Hindustan Times.
- "Shraddha Kapoor Will Be 'Remembered For Her Role' In Stree, Says The Producer". NDTV.
- DNA India - Bollywood - After recreating Dilbar song - Nora Fatehi to now sizzle in Stree - 11 July 2018″
- "Rajkummar Rao, Shraddha Kapoor launch official trailer of horror-comedy 'Stree'". Deccan Chronicle.
- Sarkar, Suparno (31 August 2018). "Stree movie review: Critics impressed by Rajkummar Rao-Shraddha Kapoor film". International Business Times. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Stree". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Box Office: Worldwide collections and day wise break up of Stree". Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Koimoi.com Team (10 September 2018). "Stree Box Office: Collects 4 Times The Budget! Beats Raazi In The List Of Most Profitable Films Of 2018". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Rakshit, Nayandeep (3 September 2018). "Confirmed! Shraddha Kapoor-Rajkummar Rao's 'Stree' to have a sequel". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 3 September 2018.