Atlantic Center of Modern Art
Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno
The CAAM building in Vegueta
The Atlantic Center for Modern Art (Spanish:Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno (CAAM) ) is a contemporary art museum in the Canary Islands, Spain. It is located in Vegueta in Las Palmas, the capital city of Gran Canaria.
The building was designed by the architect Francisco Javier Sáenz de Oiza, retaining the façade of two older neoclassical houses. It was opened on 4th December 1989, initially to house the collections of Canarian art of the island council, the Cabildo Insular de Gran Canaria.
CAAM has a permanent collection of over 2600 works, many of them from the Americas, Africa and Europe, reflecting the influence of the culture of three continents on the Canarian archipelago. The museum promotes this theme of "tricontinentality" - the dialogue between the European, African and American continents - as an approach for appreciating Canarian works of art.
It has a noted collection of Canarian art, particularly works by artists from the Grupo El Paso and the Informalist movement such as Manolo Millares, Martín Chirino, and Pablo Serrano. Works from the 1980s and 1990s by Spanish artists such as José María Sicilia, Cristina Iglesias and Luis Gordillo also ferature in the collection, along with works by Andreas Schulze and Jiri Georg Dokoupil.
CAAM is a popular visitor attraction in Las Palmas.
- Guía del patrimonio arquitectónico de Gran Canaria. Cabildo Insular de Gran Canaria, Patrimonio Histórico. ISBN 84-8103-419-3.
- Staff, Guardian (5 August 2000). "Francisco Javier Sáenz de Oiza". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "CAAM : History". Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno – CAAM". www.spain-grancanaria.com. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Centro Atlantico de Arte Moderno (CAAM): Museums in Gran Canary, Spain. Cultural tourism in Canary Islands, Spain". España es Cultura. Ministerio de Cultura y Deporte. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "CAAM, Vegueta's Shock to the System". Spain-Holiday.com. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "CAAM: The Collection". Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- Corne, Lucy (2010). DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Gran Canaria. Dorling Kindersley Limited. p. 37. ISBN 9781405350266. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno.|
- "Organismo: Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno (CAAM)". Cabildo Insular de Gran Canaria (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Centro Atlantico de Arte Moderno CAAM". TripAdvisor.