Bård Vegar Solhjell
|Bård Vegar Solhjell|
|Minister of the Environment|
23 March 2012 – 16 October 2013
|Prime Minister||Jens Stoltenberg|
|Preceded by||Erik Solheim|
|Succeeded by||Tine Sundtoft|
|Minister of Education and Research|
18 October 2007 – 20 October 2009
|Preceded by||Øystein Djupedal|
|Succeeded by||Kristin Halvorsen|
|Secretary of the Socialist Left Party|
|Preceded by||Turid Leirvoll|
|Succeeded by||Edle Daasvand|
22 December 1971 |
|Political party||Socialist Left Party|
Bård Vegar Solhjell (born 22 December 1971) is a Norwegian politician for the Socialist Left Party. He served as Minister of Education (K–12) from 2007 to 2009 and as Minister of the Environment from 2012 to 2013, both in Stoltenberg's Second Cabinet.
Solhjell was born in Kristiansand and grew up in Sunnfjord in Sogn and Fjordane, Western Norway.
Solhjell holds a Masters Degree in Political Science, with emphasis on Sociology, Comparative Politics and History of Ideas at both the University of Oslo and the University of Bergen. He has worked as a teacher, and in the postal service.
Solhjell was elected to Parliament in 2009 for Akershus County. He was a member of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence as well as the Parliamentary leader of the Socialist Left Party's group. He is one of two deputy leaders of the Socialist Left Party since 2007 and a member of its central committee since 1999.
Solhjell was Party Secretary of the Socialist Left Party 2001-2005. He was the deputy leader of Socialist Youth League between 1992-1994, before becoming a political adviser for the Socialist Left Party's Parliamentary group and a state secretary at the Prime Minister's office.
Solhjell was appointed as minister on 18 October 2007, succeeding Øystein Djupedal. Djupedal's old department was split during the 2007 reshuffle, and Solhjell was the minister in charge of kindergartens and lower education up to and including the high school level until a new government reshuffle in 2009.
In 2011 he published a book (Solidaritet på ny, Samlaget 2011) about solidarity, visions and direction for the Norwegian red-green Government and for his political party, the Socialist Left Party (SV). Between 2001 and 2005 Bård Vegar Solhjell was a member of the Norwegian Broadcasting Council. From 1992 to 1993 he was a board member of the organization “No to the EU”.
Bård Vegar Solhjell is married with 3 children. He lives in Son, just outside Oslo. He enjoys music and literature and coaches a children’s football team.
- 23.03.2012- Minister of the Environment
- 2009-2012 Member of Parliament for the Socialist Left Party
- 2007-2009 Minister of Education
- 2005-2007 State Secretary at the Prime Minister’s office
- 2001-2005 Party Secretary for the Socialist Left Party
- 1999- Member of the Central Board in the Socialist Left Party
- 2000-2001 Political Adviser at the Parliamentary Committee of the Socialist Left Party
- 1994 Political Adviser of the Socialist Left Party
- 2000- Master Degree in Political Science with Sociology, Comparative Politics and History of Ideas from University of Oslo and University of Bergen.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bård Vegar Solhjell.|
- Bård Vegar Solhjell Entry at the Miljøverndepartementet (Ministry of the Environment) (Norwegian)
- Bård Vegar Solhjell Entry at the Ministry of the Environment (Ministry of the Environment) (English)
|Norwegian Minister of Education and Research
2007 – 2009
|Norwegian Minister of the Environment
2012 - 2013