Born in Hanworth, Middlesex, on 6 December 1863 to George Frederick Pollock, a barrister and Remembrancer to Queen Victoria and King Edward VII, by his wife Frances, Bertram was the youngest of five sons, and also had a younger sister. His brother Ernest, a Conservative M.P. and Master of the Rolls, was created Viscount Hanworth in 1936. George Frederick Pollock was the third son of Sir Frederick Pollock, 1st Baronet, of a family descended from David Pollok (sic) of that Ilk (d. 1546), a member of the Scottish Clan Pollock. The Montagu-Pollock baronets descend from Sir Frederick's younger brother, George.
Bertram was educated at Charterhouse and Trinity College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1890. he was a Master and Chaplain at Marlborough and later Headmaster of Wellington College (1893–1910). Here one of his students was the author Harold Nicolson, who considered Pollock one of "the two who have influenced my intelligence" and "the most fascinating man I shall ever meet."
An Honorary Chaplain to the King, he was elevated to the Episcopate as Bishop of Norwich in 1910, a post he held for 32 years. An author, he died on 17 October 1943, leaving his wife Joan Florence Helena (m. 11 Oct. 1928), daughter of Algernon Charles Dudley Ryder and scion of the Earls Harrowby, and a daughter, (Mary) Rosalind Frances Felicia, b. 24 April 1931.
- Good Men Without Faith, 1923
- The Church and English Life, 1932
- The Nation and the Nation’s Worship, 1933
- Church and State, 1936
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- Papfield, Wyn (2007). "All Saints Jubilee History". All Saints Church. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage 107th Edition, Burke's Peerage and Gentry, 2003 ISBN 0-9711966-2-1
- "Pollock, Bertram (PLK882B)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory1940-41 Oxford, OUP,1941
- Harold Nicolson Volume One 1886-1929, Hamish Hamilton, 1980 ISBN 0-241-12354-2
- New Bishop Of Norwich The Times Thursday, Feb 03, 1910; pg. 10; Issue 39186; col F
- Obituary Dr Bertram Pollock The Times Monday, Oct 18, 1943; pg. 4; Issue 49679; col G
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Norwich