|Location||Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia|
|Slogan||"It's a whole bunch of fun!"|
|Opened||22 December 1964|
|Area||45 acres (18 ha)|
The Big Banana is a tourist attraction and amusement park in the city of Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia. The grounds of the park are set amongst a banana plantation, featuring a large walk-through banana. Built in 1964, it was one of Australia's first Big Things. Other attractions include a downhill toboggan ride, ice skating rink, a water park and the World of Bananas educational experience. Plantation tours are also available. On the evening of Australia Day 2014, a disused scenic lookout attraction was destroyed by fire. In keeping with the plantation theme, banana-related products are shown or sold in the park which also has a souvenir shop and restaurant. In January 2014, during the peak tourist season the Big Banana received close to 150,000 visitors. The Big Banana has been a family owned business since it was open by Patrick Hughes in 1964.
The original Big Banana has been copied by the Big Bananas at Carnarvon, Western Australia.
Along with the Big Banana which is 15m long, featuring the Racer 82m slide, the site includes laser tag, mini golf, ice skating rink, a theatre providing an educational experience, and a toboggan ride and a water park.
The park featured three scenic monorail sets driven on a two beam track. The monorail's track linked display buildings and transported visitors up the steep slope of the plantation.
In 2005, a broken down set was being pushed by one of the two other sets to a maintenance shed for repairs when the coupling system failed and the broken down set ploughed into the lagoon within the park.
Much of the track remains throughout the park and plantations while the two car sets that remained have been left unattended on tracks each near a disused buildings.
- (Big) Golden Guitar at Tamworth, New South Wales
- Big Lobster at Kingston SE, South Australia
- Big Merino (sheep) at Goulburn, New South Wales
- Big Pineapple at Nambour, Queensland
- Ruby, Kevin. "About the Big Banana". Official Website. Archived from the original on 12 February 2010.
- "Fire rips through Big Banana's lookout". The Coffs Coast Advocate. 27 January 2014.
- www.dinkumweb.com.au, Dinkum Web Solutions -. "The Big Banana Fun Park :: Gift Shop". bigbanana.com. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- White, Greg (1 February 2014). "Big Banana shrugs off fire and declares business as usual". The Coffs Coast Advocate.
- "PHOTOS: 10 Architectural Puzzlers". Huffington Post. 10 November 2011.
- An 82m long, six-storey high rush
- "Rides and Attractions", The Big Banana. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Banana express hits rock bottom". Coffs Coast Advocate. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Australia salute Big Things". Gibbons Stamp Monthly. June 2007. Archived from the original on 26 February 2009.