Church of St Mary Magdalene, Bitchfield
|OS grid reference|
|• London||90 mi (140 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Bitchfield is a small village in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It consists of two groups of buildings connected by Dark Lane, known as Bitchfield and Lower Bitchfield, collectively called Bitchfield. The village is situated approximately 6 miles (10 km) south-east from Grantham, and on the B1176 road, running east and parallel to the A1.
Bitchfield is mentioned in the Domesday Book as "Billesfelt". Both Bitchfield and Lower Bitchfield are sometimes described as "shrunken" rather than deserted medieval villages. There are signs that both were more extensive at one time. In Bitchfield there is an earthwork known as Camp Field.
The ecclesiastical parish covers just Bitchfield. It is part of the North Beltisloe Group of parishes in the Deanery of Beltisloe, in the Diocese of Lincoln. The parish church, in Lower Bitchfield, is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. From 2006 to 2011 the incumbent was Rev Richard Ireson. The church is substantially unaltered, with features of both Norman and Perpendicular architecture.
- Grantham Bottesford & Colsterworth (Map) (3 ed.). 1:25000. OSGB. 2006. p. 247. ISBN 978-0-319-23833-2.
- "Civil Parish details".
- "Bitchfield CP/AP through time ; Census tables with data for the Parish-level Unit". A Vision of Britain through Time. GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Historic England. "Early settlement at Bitchfield (325432)". PastScape. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Historic England. "Early settlement at Lower Bitchfield (1036263)". PastScape. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Cox, J. Charles (1916) Lincolnshire p. 65; Methuen & Co. Ltd
- "Bitchfield P C C " Archived 16 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, Diocese of Lincoln. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "North Beltisloe Group Council Report for PCC AGMs."; Boothby.org.uk. PDF download required. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- Historic England. "St Mary Magdalene's Church (325420)". PastScape. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Media related to Bitchfield at Wikimedia Commons