|Headquarters||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Founder(s)||Vitalik Buterin and Mihai Alisie|
Bitcoin Magazine is one of the original news and print magazine publishers specializing in Bitcoin and digital currencies. Bitcoin Magazine began publishing in 2012, and was co-founded by Vitalik Buterin and Mihai Alisie. It is currently owned and operated by BTC Media in Nashville, Tennessee.
Buterin was writing for a blog when his writing captured the attention of Alisie, and they subsequently decided to start the magazine. Buterin took the role of head writer as a side project to his attendance of university.
In 2012, Bitcoin Magazine began publishing a print edition. The magazine was mailed to subscribers worldwide, sold at Barnes & Noble, bookstores and published online. The magazine was available in 2012 for $9 per month, although many of its articles were also available online for free.
Buterin noted he spent 10–20 hours per week writing for the publication.
In 2013, while still Editor in Chief of the magazine, Alisie was involved with Cody Wilson in the darkwallet project. Alisie later cofounded Ethereum with Buterin, and as of 2017 was involved with a Spanish blockchain start-up named Aragon.
As of 2017 Alisie is serving the CEO of Akasha, a blockchain social media app on Ethereum.
Bitcoin Magazine is now owned by BTC Media, which is the media and publishing subsidiary of BTC Inc., who acquired the magazine in 2014 from Coin Publishing LLC. BTC Media also publishes yBitcoin, Let's Talk Bitcoin and Distributed.
Bitcoin Magazine today is under the BTC Media Group umbrella. Bitcoin Magazine ceased publication of their print magazine and currently posts content online. In its place, BTC Media created yBitcoin.
- Snyder, Benjamin (23 June 2017). "Meet Vitalik Buterin, the 23-year-old founder of bitcoin rival ethereum". CNBC. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Finley, Klint (27 January 2014). "Out in the open: Teenage hacker transforms web into one giant Bitcoin network". Wired. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- del Castillo, Michael (24 September 2014). "Dark wallet: A radical way to Bitcoin". The New Yorker. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Peck, Morgan (13 June 2016). "The Uncanny Mind That Built Ethereum". Wired. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Tapscott, Don (13 March 2017). "The Blockchain Revolution and Higher Education". EducaseReview. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Bitcoin Magazine HomePage Bitcoin Magazine Website