The Bowen Independent started as the Bowen Record in 1902, before becoming the Bowen Independent and Proserpine Agriculturalist in 1903. In 1920 the paper incorporated the Bowen Chronicle and was renamed the Bowen Independent. The Bowen Independent also publishes a weekend counterpart called the Weekend Independent. The paper was bought by News Ltd via North Queensland Newspaper Co. in 1986. The Bowen Independent is still running today and serves the residents of Bowen shire, the Whitsundays and the Burdekin district.
- "Historical Notes on North Queensland Newspapers". James Cook University. Retrieved 27 July 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Press timeline". Australian Newspaper Plan. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Bowen Independent". News Corp Australia. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Bowen Independent (Qld. : 1911 - 1954)". Trove. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". Trove. Retrieved 28 November 2013.