Bogusevic with the Houston Astros
|Orix Buffaloes – No. 29|
February 18, 1984 |
Oak Lawn, Illinois
|MLB: September 1, 2010, for the Houston Astros|
|NPB: March 25, 2016, for the Orix Buffaloes|
|Runs batted in||67|
|Runs batted in||18|
Brian Bogusevic (Serbian Latin: Brian Bogušević; born February 18, 1984) is an American/Serbian professional baseball outfielder for the Orix Buffaloes of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He has played previously for the Houston Astros, Miami Marlins and the Chicago Cubs.
|Representing United States|
|Pan American Games|
|2015 Toronto||Team competition|
Bogusevic was a two-way star player for Tulane University, playing in the outfield and also used as a starting pitcher. He was also a two-way player in high school, a three-year letterman at De La Salle Institute for coach Brad Esposito pitching and playing outfield. While playing for the Green Wave, he was named to the All-Tournament Team in the 2005 Conference USA Tournament.
He was drafted 24th overall in the 2005 MLB Draft by the Houston Astros as a starting pitcher. He remained a pitcher in the Houston Astros organization until mid-2008 before converting to an outfielder. In 2008, he was selected to play in the Arizona Fall League as an outfielder.
Bogusevic reprised his old pitching role for one game in 2012, a June 7 relief appearance against the St. Louis Cardinals. Entering a 12–2 blowout, Bogusevic pitched the 9th inning and surrendered two runs. He featured a 90 mph fastball.
On November 3, Bogusevic elected to become a free agent after being outrighted off the 40-man roster.
On November 21, 2012, Bogusevic signed a minor league deal with the Chicago Cubs. He was allocated to the minors on March 22, 2013, in spite of hitting .410 in spring training. The fifth outfielder was Dave Sappelt, who won the job because of his platooning ability. He was the Iowa Cubs Opening Day first baseman and went 3-5 with an RBI and a run in his debut. Through April, he was hitting .420 with 10 RBI and 16 runs. Through May he was hitting .367 with 5 HR, 20 RBI and 32 runs. On June 25, Bogusevic was called up by Chicago. At the time, Bogusevic was hitting .319 with 10 HR, 32 RBI and 50 runs in 78 games with Iowa. He made his Chicago debut on June 26, going 2-4 with a walk. When Ryan Sweeney went on the disabled list with fracture ribs, Bogusevic took over in center field. However, on July 14, Bogusevic suffered an injury of his own, and was replaced by Junior Lake. After rehabbing in Arizona, Bogusevic returned on August 19, replacing the recently traded David DeJesus. Bogusevic was splitting time with Darnell McDonald in left field with Lake in center field, but when Sweeney returned on September 1, he pushed Lake to left field, and Lake and Bogusevic split time there. In 47 games with Chicago, Bogusevic hit .273 with 6 HR, 16 RBI and 18 runs.
On December 12, 2013, the Cubs traded Bogusevic to the Miami Marlins for outfielder Justin Ruggiano. He was designated for assignment on March 30, 2014. Bogusevic elected free agency in October 2014.
- "Tulane Player Guide". Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "2012 Conference USA Baseball Media Guide" (PDF). p. 93. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-21. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Bogusevic's grand slam leads Astros over Cubs 6-5
- "June 7, 2012 St. Louis Cardinals at Houston Astros Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Brian Bogusevic". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- Ginnetti, Toni (November 21, 2012). "Cubs sign Chicago area outfielder Brian Bogusevic". Chicago Sun-Times.
- Sullivan, Paul (March 22, 2013). "Cubs make 11 roster cuts, including Bogusevic". Chicago Tribune.
- Yellon, Al (June 25, 2013). "Carlos Marmol DFA'd; Brian Bogusevic Joins Cubs". Bleed Cubbie Blue.
- Muskat, Carrie (July 19, 2013). "Cubs promote Lake and place Bogusevic on DL". Cubs.com.
- Twitter / Cubs: #Cubs today acquired outfielder Justin Ruggiano from #Marlins for outfielder Brian Bogusevic.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- White, R.J. (November 1, 2014). "Phillies sign Brian Bogusevic, Darin Mastroianni to minor-league deals". fantasynews.cbssports.com. Retrieved November 1, 2014.