Sudjatmiko is the son of Wartono (father) and Sri Sulastri (mother). He pursued Economics at Gadjah Mada University where he immersed himself in leftist student movements and started to organize peasants movements in Java. Inspired by revolutionary movements, he dropped out of college to focus on leftist movement and became a chairman of the People's Democratic Association (Perhimpunan Rakyat Demokratik).
In 2002, after resigning his chairman position and leaving his party, he pursued master's degree in Department of Political Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies. He continued to pursue a Masters of Philosophy degree at University of Cambridge.
In December 2004, he joined Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), one of Indonesia's major political parties On this movement, he commented:
Although there is still much which must be sorted out in terms of professionalism, ethics and morals, in the vision of struggle and other programs within the PDI-P, all of this is a challenge for the PDI-P to become the party of the little people.
He was the alumnus of SMAN 5 Kota Bogor. In addition to studying Economics at Gadjah Mada University, Budiman gained two master's degrees, both in International Relations, from the University of London's School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and at Clare Hall, Cambridge.
He is currently the director of Res Publica Institute, an Indonesian defense think tank.
- "Budiman Sudjatmiko and 51 activists join Megawati's PDI-P". Detik.com. Asia Pacific Solidarity Network. December 3, 2004. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- Institute of Occidental Studies Seminar
- Official website
- "Indonesia - Inside the Courts". www.abc.net.au. Foreign Correspondent. 2004-12-10.
- "Marxism message, [Marxism] Indonesia: Ex-revolutionary leader joins Megawati's". 12 February 2006. Archived from the original on 12 February 2006.
- "Budiman Sudjatmiko dan 51 Aktivis Bergabung dengan PDI-P". KOMPAS Cyber Media - NASIONAL. 2004-12-03. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007.
- "SUARA MERDEKA - BINCANG BINCANG". www.suaramerdeka.com.