30 May 1970 |
|Alma mater||Glendale Community College (California) (B.A.)
National University (California) (M.B.A.)
|Occupation||President & Minority Shareholder of Internazionale
Owner of D.C. United & Persib Bandung
Owner of Mahaka Group
Director of Visi Media Asia
|Net worth||US$500 million (2016)|
Erick Thohir (born 30 May 1970) is an Indonesian businessman. He is the president and minority owner of Italian football team Internazionale and the majority owner of American soccer club D.C. United.
Early and personal life
Erick Thohir was born on 30 May 1970. His father is Teddy Thohir, was a co-owner of the automotive group Astra International with William Soeryadjaya. His brother, Garibaldi Thohir, is an investment banker and coal entrepreneur. He also has a sister, Rika Thohir. As a child the younger Thohir helped in the family business. Thohir received his master's degree in 1993 in the United States. Currently, Thohir's family holding company, TNT Group, has large investments in the Indonesian Coal, Automotive and- Media Industry, as well as Restaurants and the Real Estate sector. In 2014, TNT group had a revenue of around $1 billion. As of 2009[update], Erick Thohir has four children. He is a Muslim.
In 2001, the Mahaka group bought the newspaper Republika, then facing bankruptcy. Because of Thohir's background in communications, he was chosen to lead the paper. Inexperienced with the world of newspapers, Thohir received support from his father, as well as founder of Kompas Jakob Oetama and founder of Jawa Pos Dahlan Iskan. The Mahaka group later acquired the Chinese-focused newspaper Harian Sin Chew Indonesia, a localization of Sin Chew Daily.
A 2009 report in the Jakarta Globe noted that Thorir's holdings included the lifestyle and sports magazines a+, Parents Indonesia, and Golf Digest, newspapers Harian Sin Chew Indonesia and Republika, the television station JakTV, radio stations GEN 98.7 FM, Prambors FM, Delta FM, and FeMale Radio, as well as numerous advertising, ticketing, entertainment and Web sites. He is also the founder of two charities, the education-oriented Darma Bakti Mahaka Foundation and Dompet Dhuafa Republika. By 2011, he and Anindya Bakrie co-owned the television stations tvOne and antv, as well as the internet news site Viva News.
Sports team ownership
After negotiations started post the 2011 NBA All-Star Game with former basketball agent Jason Levien and managing owner Joshua Harris, Thohir became part of the consortia that bought the Philadelphia 76ers. The consortia included actor Levien, Harris, Will Smith, his wife Jada Pinkett Smith, David S. Blitzer, of the private equity firm Blackstone Group, hedge fund manager Art Wrubel, former Vail Resorts CEO Adam Aron, Martin Geller, David Heller, Travis Hennings, James Lassiter, Marc Leder, Michael Rubin, and Indonesian businessmen Handy Soetedjo. Comcast-Spectacor and Harris began talks in the summer of 2011. The deal was announced on July 13, 2011.
Thohir is currently president of the Southeast Asia Basketball Association and, up to 2006, president of the Indonesian Basketball Association (Persatuan Bola Basket Seluruh Indonesia). He is also owner of the basketball teams Satria Muda BritAma Jakarta and Indonesia Warriors.
Presidency of Internazionale
In September 2013, Internazionale club president and owner Massimo Moratti confirmed that he was in discussions to sell a majority 70% stake in the club to Thohir. On October 15, 2013 after a long negotiation, International Sports Capital HK Ltd., led by Thohir, became the majority shareholder of Inter, acquiring a 70% stake of the club. On 15 November 2013, the club's general meeting appointed Thohir as new president of Internazionale, replacing Moratti, who will remain with the club as honorary president. International Sports Capital HK Ltd. then incorporated an Italian company as an intermediate holding company of Inter Milan: International Sports Capital S.p.A.; International Sports Capital HK Ltd. was 100% owned by Asian Sports Ventures HK Limited, which in turn Thohir owned 60% stake via Nusantara Sports Ventures HK Limited. Thohir's business partner Handy Soetedjo and Rosan Roeslani owned 20% stake each via Alke Sports Investment HK Limited and Aksis Sports Capital HK Limited.
Sports Team Ownership
- "Inter, ecco i piani di Thohir: "Vuol vincere a lungo"". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 28 May 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Erick Thohir becomes first Asian to own NBA team". The Jakarta Post. 20 October 2011. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Veda, Titania (22 July 2009). "Indonesian Media Manager a Man On a Mission". Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Nonto, Albertus Weldison; Soegiarto, Yanto (30 June 2011). "New media magnates". Globe Asia. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Satwiko, Wimbo (23 October 2011). "Media Magnate Breaks New Ground With Philadelphia 76ers". Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Philadelphia Inquirer: "Those who know him say Joshua Harris, soon-to-be Sixers owner, lives for competition and success" By Kate Fagan August 02, 2011
- ESPN: "Group led by Joshua Harris completes purchase of Sixers" October 18, 2011
- Sale of 76ers to Joshua Harris finished. ESPN, 2011-07-13.
- Goff, Steven (10 July 2012). "D.C. United's new investors Erick Thohir, Jason Levien should boost quest for stadium". The Washington Post. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Inter Milan deny £300m takeover by Erick Thohir has been agreed". BBC Sport. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Moratti vede Thohir. Primo faccia a faccia per l’Inter indonesiana". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 28 May 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "FC Internazionale Milano SpA signs an agreement to open capital to new investors". F.C. Internazionale Milano. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Inter, Thohir nuovo presidente nerazzurro. Massimo Moratti sarà presidente onorario". Corriere della Sera. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- filing in Companies Registry (Hong Kong)