30 May 1970 |
|Alma mater||Glendale Community College (California) (B.A.)
National University (California) (M.B.A.)
|Occupation||Vice President Commissioner of Mahaka Group 
President and Co–Owner of Inter Milano 
Owner of D.C. United
President Director of antv
|Net worth||US$500 million (2016)|
Erick Thohir (born 30 May 1970) is an Indonesian businessman. He is founder and chairman of Mahaka Group, a holding company which focus on media and entertainment. He is also President and Owner of Inter Milan, owner of D.C. United, President Director of antv.
Early and personal life
Erick Thohir was born on 30 May 1970. His father is Teddy Thohir, was a co-owner of the automotive group Astra International with William Soeryadjaya. His brother, Garibaldi Thohir, is an investment banker and entrepreneur in the energy sector. He also has a sister, Rika Thohir. As a child, the younger Thohir helped the family business. Thohir received his master's degree in 1993 from National University (California), United States. Currently, Thohir's family holding company, TNT Group, has large investments in the Indonesian Energy, Foods, Property and Media Industry. In 2015, the TNT group had a revenue of $1,1 billion.
In 2001, the Mahaka Group bought Republika, the biggest Moslem’s newspaper in Indonesia. Because of Thohir's background in communications, he was chosen to lead the paper. Thohir received support from his father, as well as founder of Kompas Jakob Oetama and founder of Jawa Pos Dahlan Iskan to run this newspaper. The Mahaka Group spreading its potential by investing in outdoor advertising company named Mahaka Advertising due to the growth of the economic and the city size in 2002.
After launch the television Jak TV as well as strengthen the positioning to city focus on business in 2005, Mahaka introduced the radio stations 98.7 Gen FM and 101 Jak FM and also participation in PT Radionet Cipta Karya (Prambors FM, Delta FM and FeMale Radio), as well as numerous advertising, ticketing, entertainment and digital company. Mahaka group’s business lives under well creativity, innovation and meaningful collaborate partnership to reach one comprehensive its market.
He is also the founder of two charities, the education-oriented Darma Bakti Mahaka Foundation and Dompet Dhuafa Republika. On 2011, together with Anindya Bakrie co-owned the television stations tvOne, as well as the internet news site Viva News. In 2014, he involved in turnaround project and became the President Director of antv.
Sports team ownership
After negotiations started post the 2011 NBA All-Star Game with former basketball agent Jason Levien and managing owner Joshua Harris, Thohir became part of the consortia that bought the Philadelphia 76ers. The consortia included actor Will Smith, his wife Jada Pinkett Smith, David S. Blitzer, of the private equity firm Blackstone Group and Indonesian businessmen Handy Soetedjo. Comcast-Spectacor and Harris began talks in the summer of 2011. The deal was announced on July 13, 2011.
In addition to his business, he also own the basketball team, Satria Muda, served as Honorary Board of Indonesian Basketball Association (PERBASI / Persatuan Bola Basket Seluruh Indonesia) from 2015 – 2019, President of SEABA (Southeast Asian Basketball Association) for the period of 2006–present, FIBA Board Member, Chef De Mission of Indonesia Contingent for the Olympic Games London 2012 and Chairman of National Olympic Committee for the period of 2015 – 2019.
President of Inter Milan
In September 2013, Inter Milan club president and owner Massimo Moratti confirmed that he was in discussions to sell a majority 70% stake in the club to Thohir. On 15 October 2013 after a long negotiation, International Sports Capital HK Limited, led by Thohir (for 60% stake), Handy Soetedjo (20%) and Rosan Roeslani (20%), became the majority shareholder of Inter Milan, acquiring a 70% stake of the club. On 15 November 2013, the club's general meeting appointed Thohir as new president of Inter Milan, replacing Moratti, who would remain with the club as honorary president.
- "Board of Commissioner". Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Bagan Organisasi". Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Ownership". Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Inter, ecco i piani di Thohir: "Vuol vincere a lungo"". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 28 May 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Erick Thohir becomes first Asian to own NBA team". The Jakarta Post. 20 October 2011. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Veda, Titania (22 July 2009). "Indonesian Media Manager a Man On a Mission". Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 17 August 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Nonto, Albertus Weldison; Soegiarto, Yanto (30 June 2011). "New media magnates". Globe Asia. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Satwiko, Wimbo (23 October 2011). "Media Magnate Breaks New Ground With Philadelphia 76ers". Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- ESPN: "Group led by Joshua Harris completes purchase of Sixers" October 18, 2011
- Sale of 76ers to Joshua Harris finished. ESPN, 2011-07-13.
- "PP Pengurus PP PERBASI". 26 February 2016.
- "Inter Milan deny £300m takeover by Erick Thohir has been agreed". BBC Sport. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Moratti vede Thohir. Primo faccia a faccia per l'Inter indonesiana". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 28 May 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "FC Internazionale Milano SpA signs an agreement to open capital to new investors". F.C. Internazionale Milano. 21 January 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Inter, Thohir nuovo presidente nerazzurro. Massimo Moratti sarà presidente onorario". Corriere della Sera. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Suning Holdings Group acquires majority stake of F.C. Internazionale Milano". F.C. Internazionale Milano. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.