Byrd Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Byrd Township, Brown County, Ohio|
State Route 125 in Decatur
Location of Byrd Township in Brown County
|• Total||25.31 sq mi (65.56 km2)|
|• Land||25.31 sq mi (65.54 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||29/sq mi (11.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085792|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Wayne Township, Adams County - northeast
- Liberty Township, Adams County - east
- Huntington Township - south
- Union Township - southwest
- Jefferson Township - west
Name and history
It is the only Byrd Township statewide.
Byrd Township had eighteen mills in 1833.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Byrd township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- The History of Brown County, Ohio. Higginson Book Company. 1883. p. 693.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 112. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.