Union Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Union Township, Brown County, Ohio|
Red Oak Presbyterian Church, built 1817
Location of Union Township in Brown County
|• Total||38.6 sq mi (100.1 km2)|
|• Land||38.0 sq mi (98.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2)|
|Elevation||558 ft (170 m)|
|• Density||81/sq mi (31.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085806|
Union Township is one of the sixteen townships of Brown County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,064 people in the township, 1,314 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Byrd Township - northeast
- Huntington Township - southeast
- Jefferson Township - north
- Pleasant Township - northwest
The village of Ripley is located in southwestern Union Township, along the Ohio River.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Union township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 454. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.