Royer in 2016
|Birth name||Casey A. Royer|
|Born||October 8, 1958|
Casey A. Royer, (born October 8, 1958), is an American singer, songwriter, and musician. In a music career spanning more than 30 years, Royer is best known as the lead vocalist for Southern Californian punk rock band D.I. and as a drummer for the Adolescents.
Casey A. Royer was born on October 8, 1958. Royer attended Troy High School, and began playing music with friends in the neighborhoods of Fullerton and Placentia, California. A shifting group of friends formed bands and played at parties and other gigs during their high school years.
Royer began playing the drums professionally in 1978 at the age of 17, as an early member of Social Distortion with Mike Ness, composing the group's early lyrics with occasional help from original lead vocalist Tom Corvin. He later drummed with the Detours, and after leaving Social Distortion, he became the lead vocalist of a Social Distortion splinter group before disbanding it to drum for the Adolescents on and off between 1980 and 1987. After the Adolescents' first break-up in 1981, Casey formed D.I., where he is the lead vocalist, primary songwriter and only consistent member.
When the Adolescents reformed in 1986, Casey returned to the band but left before the 1987 reunion album Brats in Battalions was recorded. He rejoined them again in 2001–2002 for their 20th Anniversary Tour. Casey also joined former Adolescents band members in the band ADZ from 1989–93, after which he again made D.I. his primary focus. He has been the only constant member through many D.I. line-up shifts since the band's inception.
In 2011, Royer had a drug overdose while watching television with his then-12-year-old son at home in Newport Beach. After his son went for help, Royer was arrested and charged with child endangerment and being under the influence of a controlled substance. The child endangerment charges were dropped, but he was convicted of the misdemeanor drug charge and sentenced to 90 days in jail and three years of probation.
Royer was married in 1988, which lasted for three years, and had two children, Max, born in 1989, and Casey, born in 1998.
- Interviews: D.I., Punknews.org, August 10, 2007, retrieved September 18, 2015
- "Rikk Agnew & Eric Blair part 2 His youth, Social Distortion and O.C. punk". The Blairing Out with Eric Blair Show. March 23, 2019. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Huey, Steve. "Biography: The Adolescents". AllMusic. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- Ankeny, Jason, ADZ, AllMusic, retrieved September 18, 2015
- "Rock Legend Arrested for OD'ing in Front of Son". Tmz.com. Retrieved March 15, 2020.
- Casey Royer (D.I., Adolescents, Social Distortion) sentenced to 90 days, Punknews.org, retrieved September 18, 2015