List of charities accused of ties to terrorism
||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (July 2010)|
This is a list of charities accused of ties to terrorism. A number of charities have been accused or convicted in court of using their revenues to fund terrorism or revolutionary movements, rather than for the humanitarian purposes for which contributions were ostensibly collected. During the "war on terror" the names of several such organisations have been published, although the phenomenon predates 9/11. Some detainees have been captured largely because they volunteered or worked for these charities.
On August 23, 2007 the Bush Administration announced plans to implement enhanced security checking of the employees of American charities, which receive funds from U.S. Agency for International Development, looking for those who might have ties to terrorism. Charities which are turned down will not be offered an explanation, or an avenue to appeal the decisions.
Charities accused of ties to terrorism
|Afghan Support Committee||Pakistan||U.S. State Department||
|Al-Haramain Foundation||Saudi Arabia||U.S. State Department||
|Al Kifah Refugee Center||United States||Spanish police||
|Al Wafa al Igatha al Islamia||Afghanistan||U.S. State Department||
|Benevolence International Foundation||United States||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
|Bosanska Idealna Futura||Bosnia||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
|Global Relief Foundation||United States||Federal Bureau of Investigation||
|Health and Education Project International||Canada||Canadian Security Intelligence Service|
|Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development||United States||Federal Bureau of Investigation||
|Human Appeal International||United Kingdom||U.S. State Department||
|International Islamic Relief Organization||Saudi Arabia||U.S. State Department||
|Internationale Humanitäre Hilfsorganisation e.V.||Germany||German Interior Ministry||
|Jamaat al Dawa al Quran||Afghanistan||JTF-GTMO||
|Jamat al Tabligh||Pakistan||U.S. State Department||
|Maktab al-Khidamat||Afghanistan||U.S. 9-11 commission|
|Muslim Aid||London||Spanish police, Israel, Government of Bangladesh|
|Society of the Revival of Islamic Heritage||Kuwait||U.S. State Department||
|Sanabal Charitable Committee||United Kingdom||
|Tamils Rehabilitation Organisation(TRO)||Canada||Federal Bureau of Investigation|
- Richey, Warren (January 14, 1985). "On the trail of US funds for IRA". Christian Science Monitor.
- Walter Pincus (August 23, 2007). "Foreign Aid Groups Face Terror Screens". Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-08-23.
- Terrorist Exclusion List, US State Department, November 15, 2002
- Spain charity terror link alleged, CNN, December 8, 2002
- Dossier (.pdf) of Jamal Muhammad Alawi Mar'i, Combatant Status Review Tribunal
- Complete 911 Timeline, Cooperative Research
- Commission Regulation 76/2006
- National Post Apologizes to Human Concern International, South Asia Partnership Canada
- Charities Held Liable in Teen Death, Wildman Harrold Attorneys and Counselors
- Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, NY Times
- Dossier (.pdf) of Boudella el Hajj, Combatant Status Review Tribunal
- "U.S. Designates Five Charities Funding Hamas and Six Senior Hamas Leaders as Terrorist Entities", United States Department of the Treasury, August 22, 2003.
- Matthew Levitt, Dennis Ross, Hamas: Politics, Charity, And Terrorism in the Service of Jihad, Yale University Press, 2007, p. 158, ISBN 0300122586, 9780300122589
- Dominic Casciani, Islamic charity cleared of Hamas link, BBC, 24 September 2003.
- Niki May Young (27 July 2010). "Interpal wins High Court case against Sunday Express claims of terror links". Civil Society Media. Retrieved 19 August 2010.
- "Germany outlaws IHH over claimed Hamas links, Haaretz 12.07.10". Haaretz.com. 12 July 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Germany bans group accused of Hamas links, Ynet 07.12.10". ynet. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- Summarized transcripts (.pdf), from Sahib Rohullah Wakil's Combatant Status Review Tribunal - pages 16-25
- Combatant Status Review Board Letters, final release (.pdf), Department of Defense Freedom of Information Office -- see page 4 of the .pdf
- National Commission on Terrorist Attack Upon the United States: appendix a common abbreviations, 911 Commission
- "CNN.com - Spain charity terror link alleged - Dec. 8, 2002". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Defense Minister signs order banning Hamas-affiliated charitable organizations". GxMSDev. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "NGOs under scanner for 'funding militancy'". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Hasina: No vote rigging by AL-backed candidates - Dhaka Tribune". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Ten Islamist outfits to face ban - Dhaka Tribune". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- Summary of Evidence (.pdf) from pages 25-26 of Mohammed Fenaitel Mohamed Al Daihani's Combatant Status Review Tribunal
- "'Charities' back terror, Ottawa Sun". Retrieved 23 October 2014.