|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Gloucester|
|Province||Province of Canterbury|
|Diocese||Diocese of Gloucester|
|Consecration||25 March 1863|
|Birth name||Charles John Ellicott|
|Born||25 April 1819
Whitwell, Rutland, England
|Died||15 October 1905 (aged 86)
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Spouse||Constantia Ann Becher|
|Children||Arthur and Rosalind|
|Alma mater||Stamford School;
St John's College, Cambridge
Charles John Ellicott (1819–1905) was a distinguished English Christian theologian, academic and churchman. He briefly served as Dean of Exeter, then Bishop of the united see of Gloucester and Bristol.
Early life and family
Born in Whitwell, Rutland on 25 April 1819, he was educated at Stamford School and St John's College, Cambridge. He married Constantia Ann Becher at St Marylebone Parish Church, London on 31 July 1848. One of their children was the composer Rosalind Ellicott.
Following his ordination into the Anglican ministry in 1848, he was Vicar of Pilton, Rutland and then Professor of Divinity at King's College London and Hulsean Professor of Divinity at Cambridge. In 1861, he was appointed Dean of Exeter. Two years later he was nominated the bishop of the united sees of Gloucester and Bristol on 6 February and consecrated on 25 March 1863. In 1897, he resigned the bishopric of Bristol, but continued as Bishop of Gloucester until resigning on 27 February 1905. He died in Kent on 15 October 1905, aged 86.
- Destiny of the Creature, 1865
- Historical Lectures on the Life of Christ, 1870
- Modern Unbelief, its Principles and Characteristics, 1877
- Spiritual Needs in Country Parishes, 1888
- Sacred Study
- An Old Testament Commentary for English Readers, 1897 (Editor)
- A New Testament Commentary for English Readers, 1878
- Our Reformed Church and its Present Troubles, 1897
- The Revised Version of Holy Scripture, 1901
- The Times, Wednesday, Jul 03, 1861; pg. 6; Issue 23975; col A New Dean of Exeter
- "Who was Who"1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "Ellicott, Charles John (ELCT837CJ)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Rt. Rev Charles John Ellicott". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Rosalind Frances Ellicott". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, pp. 232 and 249.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 232.
- Fryde et al. 1986, Handbook of British Chronology, p. 249.
- The Times, Monday, Oct 16, 1905; pg. 5; Issue 37839; col B Death of Bishop Ellicott.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Charles John Ellicott
- Works by Charles Ellicott at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Charles Ellicott at Internet Archive
- Portraits of Charles Ellicott at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Church of England titles|
Thomas Hill Lowe
|Dean of Exeter
1861 – 1863
|Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol
as Bishop of Gloucester
as Bishop of Bristol
|Bishop of Gloucester
Edgar Charles Sumner Gibson