Charleston Southern Buccaneers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Charleston Southern Buccaneers|
|Conference||Big South Conference|
|Athletic director||Hank Small|
|Location||North Charleston, South Carolina|
|Football stadium||Buccaneer Field|
|Basketball arena||CSU Field House/North Charleston Coliseum|
|Baseball stadium||Buccaneer Ballpark|
|Mascot||Bucky the Buccaneer|
|Colors||Blue and Gold
Charleston Southern Buccaneers are the athletic teams that represent Charleston Southern University. They participate in Division I of the NCAA as a member of the Big South Conference. Charleston Southern (CSU) fields varsity teams in 16 sports, 7 for Men and 9 for Women. The football team competes in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly I-AA.
In 2008, CSU closed its highly successful men's tennis program to reallocate funds to other sports. CSU formerly fielded a men's soccer team.
- Buccaneer Field - home of the Football program. It opened in 1970 and has a capacity of 4,000 spectators.
- CSU Field House - home of the Men's and Women's Basketball teams. It has a capacity of 881 spectators. It is the 2nd smallest arena in Division I basketball.
- Buccaneer Ballpark - home of the Baseball program. It has a capacity of 1,500 spectators.
Charleston Southern - Coastal Carolina Rivalry
These two schools first met on the football field in 2003 and it has been a rivalry since Charleston Southern defeated Coastal Carolina 34-27 in 2005 to win a share of the Big South Championship that Coastal had already clinched. CSU got the first shutout of the series with their 24-0 win in 2008.Since 2010 Charleston Southern has a three-game losing streak to Coastal Carolina with Coastal winning the Big South Championship and winning the automatic berth into the NCAA Playoffs after a 41-20 loss in 2012.
Coastal Carolina leads the series 8-5.
- 2015 - Coastal @ CSU - W, 33-25
- 2014 - CSU @ Coastal - L, 43-22
- 2013 - Coastal @ CSU - W, 31-26
- 2012 - CSU @ Coastal - L, 41-20
- 2011 - Coastal @ CSU - L, 45-38
- 2010 - CSU @ Coastal - L, 70-3
- 2009 - Coastal @ CSU - W, 30-23
- 2008 - CSU @ Coastal - W, 24-0
- 2007 - Coastal @ CSU - L, 41-2
- 2006 - CSU @ Coastal - L, 31-17
- 2005 - Coastal @ CSU - W, 34-27 (2 OT)
- 2004 - CSU @ Coastal - L, 56-28
- 2003 - Coastal @ CSU - L, 48-14 (First Meeting)
Charleston Southern vs FBS Schools
- CSU Branding & Style Manual (PDF). 2015-08-01. Retrieved 2016-03-31.