Creswick railway station
|PTV regional rail station|
Train on station platform, looking south in 2010
Creswick, Victoria 3363
|Distance||174.48 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|12 September 1993||Closed|
|25 July 2010||Reopened|
Creswick railway station is located on the Mildura line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the town of Creswick opening in 1874. The station closed on 12 September 1993 when The Vinelander was withdrawn and replaced by road coaches. It reopened on 25 July 2010 when passenger services were restored to Maryborough.
The platform is located on the eastern side of the line, with a steel shelter provided for waiting passengers. A heritage listed station building, platform and signal box also exist on the western side of the line; with a pedestrian subway passing underneath the tracks at the southern end. The original station building is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. A goods shed is also located on the site, with no tracks connected.
When the return of passenger services was announced the State Government said that the cost to upgrade the platform for wheelchair access was too high, resulting in the construction of a new platform instead.
The junction for a branch line to Daylesford was approximately 1.6 kilometres north of Creswick at North Creswick station. This branch was constructed in the 1880s and operated until 1952 when it was cut back to Newlyn. This was further truncated to Allendale in 1976 and closed completely in 1985.
Platforms & services
- Creswick Vicsig
- Creswick on track for railway Hepburn Advocate 25 August 2009
- "Creswick Railway Station Complex, Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H1669, Heritage Overlay HO561". Victorian Heritage Database. Heritage Victoria.
- "Creswick Station (Place ID 103646)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. Retrieved 5 September 2008.
- Creswick Station too bad to fix Ballarat Courier 25 August 2009
- "Boost for Creswick Railway Station community hub plan" (PDF). Media Release: Hepburn Shire Council. www.hepburn.vic.gov.au. 17 March 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2011. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- Maryborough - Melbourne via Ballarat Public Transport Victoria
- Mildura - Melbourne Public Transport Victoria