Cynthia Ann Bashant
|Cynthia Ann Bashant|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California|
May 8, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Irma Elsa Gonzalez|
|Born||1960 (age 56–57)
San Francisco, California
|Education||Smith College (A.B.)
University of California, Hastings College of Law (J.D.)
Cynthia Ann Bashant (born 1960) is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of California and former judge of the San Diego Superior Court.
Early life and education
Bashant was born in 1960 in San Francisco, California. She received an Artium Baccalaureus degree in 1982 from Smith College and a Juris Doctor in 1986 from the University of California, Hastings College of Law.
Bashant began her career in private practice in San Diego, as an associate at MacDonald, Halsted & Laybourne from 1986 to 1988 and then as associate at Baker & McKenzie from 1988 to 1989, practicing civil litigation at both firms. Bashant served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of California from 1989 to 2000. She served as deputy chief of narcotics from 1995 to 1997 and chief of border crimes from 1997 to 1998. In these positions, Bashant prosecuted crimes involving Mexican drug cartels and methamphetamine labs.
State and federal judicial service
From 2000 until 2014, when she joined the federal bench, Bashant has served as a judge of the Superior Court of California, San Diego County, handling both criminal and juvenile matters. From 2009 to 2012, she was the presiding judge for the juvenile dependency and delinquency courts.
On September 19, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Bashant to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, to the seat vacated by Judge Irma Elsa Gonzalez, who took senior status on March 29, 2013. On January 16, 2014 her nomination was reported out of the Senate Judiciary Committee. On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014 a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 56-41. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 94-0. She received her judicial commission on May 8, 2014.
- "Bashant, Cynthia Ann - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on United States District Courts, White House Office of the Press Secretary (September 19, 2013).
- Kristina Davis, Senate confirms new San Diego federal judge, San Diego Union-Tribune (April 30, 2014).
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 September 2013.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 115. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 122. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
Irma Elsa Gonzalez
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California