Fox Sports is the brand name for a number of sports channels, broadcast divisions, programming, and other media around the world that are either controlled or partially owned by the family of Rupert Murdoch. These assets are held mainly by 21st Century Fox, with the exception of the operations in Australia, which are part of News Corp Australia. (21st Century Fox and News Corp are the two companies resulting from the breakup of the larger News Corporation in mid-2013; the Murdoch family retains voting control of both entities.)
The name originates from the Fox Broadcasting Company in the United States, which in turn was derived from the name of the Fox Film Corporation (later 20th Century Fox). The Fox Sports name has since been used in 21st Century Fox's and News Corp's other sports media assets around the world.
On December 14, 2017, The Walt Disney Company announced plans to acquire 21st Century Fox (Fox Sports parent) for $52.4 billion; this will include key assets such as 20th Century Fox, FX Networks, National Geographic Partners, its regional sports networks, and its international networks. The Fox television network, Fox News Channel, and the non regional Fox Sports assets (Fox Sports 1 and 2 (FS1 and FS2) cable channels, and the part of Fox sports attached to the Fox television network) will be spun off into an independent company run by the Murdoch family.
Channels and divisions
- Fox Sports International, an international sports programming and production entity of the Fox Networks Group, which distributes sports programming to various countries.
- Fox Sports Africa, launched in August 2014 in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Fox Sports Asia, a sports channel for Asian viewers, was launched in 2013, replacing ESPN Asia.
- Fox Sports 2 Asia was launched in 2014, replacing STAR Sports.
- Fox Sports 3 Asia also was launched in 2014, replacing Fox Sports Plus HD Asia.
- Fox Sports Pty Limited, formerly Premier Media Group, owned by News Corp Australia
- Fox Sports (Australia), a group of sports channels
- Fox Sports News 500 - Cable and satellite channel that continuously televises sports news 24 hours per day.
- Fox Sports 501
- Fox League 502 - A 24-hour dedicated rugby league channel
- Fox Sports 503
- Fox Footy 504 - primarily features the Australian Football League
- Fox Sports 505
- Fox Sports 506
- Fox Sports More+ 507
- Fox Sports (Australia), a group of sports channels
- Fox Sports World Canada, a defunct specialty channel primarily featuring soccer and other events around the world that operated from 2001 to 2012.
- Fox owned 20 percent of Sportsnet before selling it to Rogers Communications in 2004 but many of its content remains on that network.
- Fox Sports Israel was first broadcast in Israel back in 2001 by satellite provider yes and since 2010 it broadcasts the HD version of the channel.
- Fox Sports Italy is an Italian sports channel launched in 2013 alongside Fox Sports Plus and Fox Sports 2, which carries soccer, MLB, NFL, NCAA Sports, Volley Champions League and Euroleague Basketball.
- Fox Sports and Entertainment began producing sports shows in 2013, which are broadcast in several Fox channels.
- Fox Sports (Latin America), is a Spanish and Portuguese pay television network broadcasting to various Latin American countries.
- Fox Sports
- Fox Sports 2: formerly known as Fox Sports+
- Fox Sports 3 (not available in Brazil): formerly known as Speed Channel, it was launched in 2012 and its programming is car-related.
- Fox Sports Premium: pay-TV channel launched in 2017, it is specialised in broadcasting Argentine First Football Division matches, only available in Argentina.
- Fox Sports Chile, basic pay-TV channel with no live programming, launched in 2014, only available in Chile. It was previously known as Fox Sports Básico (Fox Sports Basic), as it was featured in basic-tier TV packages.
- Fox Sports 1: Premium channel featuring live programming, only available in Chile. It was previously known as Fox Sports Premium, as it was only available in higher TV packages in the country.
- Fox Sports Uruguay
- Fox Sports Colombia
- Fox Sports Peru
- Fox Sports (Netherlands), a group of sports channels owned by Eredivisie Media & Marketing which for 51% is owned by Fox Networks Group Benelux.
- Fox College Sports is a suite of three region-specific networks devoted to college sports.
- Fox Deportes presents sports programming in Spanish.
- Fox Soccer Plus, a network with extended coverage of soccer and other international sport events; remains in operation despite closure of Fox Soccer
- Fox Sports Networks is a collection of cable TV regional sports networks broadcasting across the United States. These regional channels include:
- Fox Sports Arizona
- Fox Sports Carolinas (also Fox Sports Southeast)
- Fox Sports Detroit (also Fox Sports Detroit Plus)
- Fox Sports Florida (also Fox Sports Sun)
- Fox Sports Indiana
- Fox Sports Kansas City
- Fox Sports Midwest
- Fox Sports New Orleans
- Fox Sports North
- Fox Sports Ohio (also SportsTime Ohio)
- Fox Sports Oklahoma
- Fox Sports San Diego
- Fox Sports South (also Fox Sports Southeast)
- Fox Sports Southwest
- Fox Sports Tennessee (also Fox Sports Southeast)
- Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket
- Fox Sports Wisconsin
- Root Sports Northwest, formerly Fox Sports Northwest
- Root Sports Pittsburgh, formerly Fox Sports Pittsburgh
- Root Sports Rocky Mountain, formerly Fox Sports Rocky Mountain
- Root Sports Utah, formerly Fox Sports Utah
- YES Network
- Fox Sports, sports division of the Fox Broadcasting Company television network. The first "Fox Sports".
- Fox Sports 1 is a national sports network.
- Fox Sports 2 is a national sports network.
- Fox Sports Radio is a national sports talk radio network managed by Premiere Networks in partnership with Fox Sports.
News Corporation (and subsequently 21st Century Fox) has also used the Fox Sports name in its other sports media assets. Foxsports.com, a web site operated by Fox Sports Digital Media, provides sports news online. The Fox Sports College Hoops '99 basketball video game is published by their Fox Interactive division.
- "Rogers Communications Buys Stake in Sports Network for C$45 Mln". Bloomberg. December 29, 2004. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- "NMa: Fox mag Eredivisie Media & Marketing overnemen — Activiteiten in 2012". NMa Jaarverslag 2012. Retrieved 2013-10-31.