The original Puffin Books cover
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
ISBN 1-84046-388-0 (Wizard)
|Preceded by||City of Thieves|
|Followed by||Island of the Lizard King|
Deathtrap Dungeon is a single-player adventure gamebook written by Ian Livingstone, and illustrated by Iain McCaig. Originally published by Puffin Books in 1984, the title is the sixth gamebook in the Fighting Fantasy series. It was later republished by Wizard Books in 2002.
Deathtrap Dungeon is a fantasy scenario set in the trap-filled and monster-infested labyrinth of Fang. The player takes the role of an adventurer who decides to enter Baron Sukumvit's "Trial of Champions" and brave "Deathtrap Dungeon". Competing against five other adventurers, the player must defeat monsters, navigate the maze of dungeons and collect certain gems, which are the key to escaping and winning the Trial.
Marcus L. Rowland reviewed Deathtrap Dungeon for the May 1984 issue of White Dwarf, rating the title 8 out of a possible 10. Rowland stated that the format of Deathtrap Dungeon was "extremely simple, and resembles the plot of many early D&D scenarios".
The gamebook was also converted into a 40-page d20 System role-playing adventure by Jamie Wallis. It was published by Myriador in 2003 and reissued in pdf format by Greywood Publishing in 2008.
In 2018, the audio company FoxYason Music Productions, known for their work with Big Finish Productions announced that they would be releasing an original, full-cast audio drama based on Deathtrap Dungeon in a CD boxset with The Citadel of Chaos, The Forest of Doom, and Creature of Havoc for summer 2018. It will be written by David N. Smith, directed by Richard Fox and will feature Rachel Atkins returning to the role of Vale Moonwing from FoxYason Music's first release based on The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, sub-titled The Hero's Quest.
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. p. 366. ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- Rowland, Marcus (May 1984). "Open Box". White Dwarf. Games Workshop (53): 16–17.
- "Review of Deathtrap Dungeon - RPGnet". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "SFandFantasy.co.uk - Deathtrap Dungeon. 2003". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Reviews - Deathtrap Dungeon - OgreCave.com". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Deathtrap Dungeon - RPG Geek". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Holdom lines up Marcel, Deathtrap Dungeon, ScrrenDaily, 26 May 2011
- Can You Survive the Deathtrap Dungeon ? , IMDb, 26 May 2011
- "Fighting Fantasy Audio Dramas". www.fightingfantasyaudiodramas.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Deathtrap Dungeon on the official Fighting Fantasy website".
- "Deathtrap Dungeon on the Wizard Books website". Archived from the original on 2007-08-14.