|Traded as||NYSE: DWRE|
|Industry||e-commerce, mobile commerce, software, SaaS, cloud computing|
(president, CEO & chairman)
Timothy Adams (CFO)
Jeffrey Barnett (COO)
Wayne Whitcomb (CTO)
Number of employees
Demandware is a software technology company headquartered in Burlington, Massachusetts, providing a cloud-based e-commerce platform and related services for retailers and brand manufacturers around the world.
Demandware was founded in 2004 by Stephan Schambach to provide a hosted service that would enable companies to develop and manage easy-to-use, customizable e-commerce websites, rather than building a site from scratch. The service was launched in the first quarter of 2005. Schambach previously founded the early e-commerce company Intershop in 1992. Seed money for Demandware was provided by venture capital firms General Catalyst Partners and North Bridge Venture Partners.
On March 15, 2012, Demandware began trading on the New York Stock Exchange, raising $88 million in its initial public offering, with an initial share price of $16. Following its IPO, shares were up more than 50% from the IPO price by the next morning. In November 2013, Demandware announced an underwritten registered public offering.
Demandware Commerce is a cloud-based technology for retailers, allowing them to develop and manage custom digital commerce and mobile commerce sites. The technology includes an open, cloud-based platform with applications for e-commerce merchants, developers and administrators. The platform enables worldwide consumer engagement across devices, including laptop, desktop, tablet and mobile computers. Demandware's subscription structure uses a revenue share model.
As of 2014, Demandware's live clients include over 200 retailers, including Motorola, Barneys New York, Columbia Sportswear, L'Oreal, Carter's, Brooks Brothers, Deckers Outdoor Corporation, Vineyard Vines, Hallmark, Canada Goose, Puma, Panasonic, Callaway Golf Company, Butlers, Magasin du Nord, Marks & Spencer, Mothercare, Adidas, New Balance and Kate Spade.
In January 2014, Demandware acquired cloud-based order management provider Mainstreet Commerce.
Demandware is headquartered in Burlington, Massachusetts. The company also has offices in Deerfield Beach, Florida, the United Kingdom, France, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Australia, Hong Kong, China and Japan.
- After a three-year growth in revenue of 657% from 2008 to 2011, Demandware was ranked #563 on Inc. magazine's Inc. 5000 list in 2012.
- Ranked 19th on Forbes' list of the most highly valued venture-backed tech IPOs of 2012, based on company value.
- One of Forbes' top five tech stock picks for 2013.
- Ranked 9th in the e-commerce platform category of the 2014 Internet Retailer Top Tech Guide.
- Sara Castellanos, “Demandware plans Japan expansion, future acquisitions following Q1 2014 growth,” Boston Business Journal, May 6, 2014.
- Mike Ricciuti, “Start-up targets e-commerce on demand,” CNET, October 6, 2004.
- Michael Skok, “Founders Can’t Scale: Fact or Fiction?” Forbes, May 9, 2014.
- Michael B. Farrell, “Patience pays off for investment firm,” Boston Globe, March 15, 2012.
- “Demandware Secures $12 Million in Series B Funding,” VCgate, February 15, 2006.
- Lynn Cowan, “New Vs. Old in IPO Action This Week,” Wall Street Journal, March 12, 2012.
- Evelyn M. Rusli, “Yelp Prices Its Shares for Offering at $15,” New York Times, March 2, 2012.
- Dan Gallagher, “Demandware shares jump more than 50% on IPO,” MarketWatch, March 15, 2012.
- “Demandware Announces Pricing of Public Offering Of Common Stock,” Business Wire, November 19, 2013.
- Joseph Galante, “Alibaba.com, Smarting From Scandal, Taps U.S. Entrepreneurs,” Bloomberg Businessweek, March 4, 2011.
- Amy Dusto, “Demandware buys order management company Mainstreet Commerce,” Internetretailer.com, January 23, 2014.
- Chris Reidy, “Demandware establishes Munich office as its European HQ,” Boston.com, June 14, 2013.
- Scott Kirsner, “Background briefing: Demandware, peddling e-commerce functionality on demand, files to go public,” Boston.com, July 18, 2011.
- Demandware profile, Inc. Accessed September 7, 2014.
- Tomio Geron, “The Top Tech IPOs Of 2012 And The Venture Capitalists Who Invested,” Forbes, January 3, 2013.
- Canaccord Genuity, “Top Tech Picks for 2013,” Forbes, January 8, 2013.