Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
|Purpose||Research and teaching in zoology|
Head of Department
|University of Oxford|
- Biodiversity Institute
- Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology
- Institute for Emerging Infections
- Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU – in Tubney, Oxfordshire)
Research in the Department focuses on the themes of behaviour, disease, ecology, and evolution. The Department is within the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division of Oxford University. The main building, the Tinbergen Building (named after Niko Tinbergen), is on the corner of South Parks Road and St Cross Road, with Linacre College and an entrance to the University Parks opposite.
In February 2017, officials announced that the Tinbergen Building would be closed for two years and all research and teaching activities of the Zoology Department would be moved elsewhere in the university due to the discovery of asbestos.
- Wilfred ('W. B.') Alexander
- Charles Elton FRS
- Sir Alistair Hardy
- Richard Dawkins
- Sunetra Gupta
- Peter Holland (former Head of Department)
- John Krebs
- Adrian Thomas
- David Lack
- David Macdonald
- Sir Robert May
- Desmond Morris
- Max Nicholson
- Denis Owen
- Chris Perrins
- Ben Sheldon (Head of Department, Director of the Edward Grey Institute)
- Claudio Sillero-Zubiri
- Nikolaas Tinbergen
- Bernard Tucker
- Mark Williamson
- "Zoology, Dept of". Oxford University Pocket Diary. Oxford University Press. 2014–15. p. 175.
- "Oxford University Zoology and experimental psychology buildings to close for two years due to asbestos". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "Asbestos find closes Oxford University building for two years". BBC News. BBC. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Bowen, Ursula (2015). "Memories of the Zoology Degree Course 1949–1952" (PDF). Biology News (4). University of Oxford. p. 6.
- "Peter Holland: Head of Zoology Department" (PDF). Biology News (4). University of Oxford. 2015. p. 3.
- "Oxford University Alumni Weekend September 2015" (PDF). Biology News (4). University of Oxford. 2015. p. 12.
- "Ben Sheldon". Department of Zoology, University of Oxford. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
|This article about a zoology organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to the University of Oxford is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|