Oxford Martin School
Oxford Martin School logo
|Purpose||Higher Education and Research|
|Headquarters||Broad Street, Oxford, England|
|University of Oxford|
The Oxford Martin School is a research and policy unit based in the Social Sciences Division of the University of Oxford. It was founded in June 2005 as the James Martin 21st Century School. It is named after its benefactor, James Martin, author of the books The Wired Society and The Meaning of the 21st Century. Its Director is Achim Steiner, who took up the post in September 2016
The School invests in research tackling "the most pressing global challenges and opportunities of the 21st century" It takes a multi-disciplinary approach to issues such as climate change, migration, and the future of humanity.
In 2010, the School announced the successful outcome of a $100 million matched funding scheme that saw the number of research programmes in the School more than double.
In September 2012, the School launched the Oxford Martin Commission for Future Generations, an interdisciplinary group looking at global issues such as cybersecurity, climate change, and political transparency. The Commission, chaired by Pascal Lamy, reported in 2013, making fifteen proposals on how to respond to these trends. These included some expansions of existing projects and some new proposals.
A report published in 2013 looked at the effect of new technologies on the structure of the labour market, with repetitive jobs being replaced by automation. It predicted that over two decades, 45 percent of all jobs in the United States were at risk of replacement. A report published in early 2016, "Industrial Renewal in the 21st Century: Evidence from US cities" looked at how technology companies such as Facebook and Uber affect the wider economy of the United States. It showed that their effect on job creation is small and that they increase disparities in wealth.
- Ford, Liz (1 June 2005). "Oxford institute to seek solutions to world's problems". The Guardian.
- "Interview: Agent for change". New Scientist. 6 September 2006.
- "Achim Steiner begins tenure as Director of the Oxford Martin School". Oxford Martin School. 1 September 2016.
- "About us". Oxford Martin School. 2016.
- "Research programmes". Oxford Martin School. 2016.
- $100 million raised for ground-breaking research, Oxford Martin School, 2010.
- Liat, Clark (16 October 2013). "Future Generations Report: we need global shared values to secure our future (Wired UK)". Wired UK. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Bland, Jessica (2013-10-16). "Betting on the future: William Hill or the UN?". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Hope Rutkin, Aviva (12 September 2013). "Report Suggests Nearly Half of U.S. Jobs Are Vulnerable to Computerization". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Tett, Gillian (2016-01-19). "Rise of the robots seen boosting the dollar". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "What's the point of the tech industry?". TechRadar. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Pofeldt, Elanie (5 December 2015). "Study: Tech Firms Create Wealth, Not Jobs". Forbes. Retrieved 2016-02-03.