Yellowknives Dene First Nation (Dettah)
|Region||North Slave Region|
|Territorial electoral district||Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh|
|Census division||Region 6|
|• Chief||Edward Sangris|
|• Chief Executive Officer||Juanita Sangris|
|• MLA||Bob Bromley|
|• Land||1.34 km2 (0.52 sq mi)|
|Elevation||179 m (587 ft)|
|• Density||163.9/km2 (424/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|Canadian Postal code|
|Telephone exchanges||444 445 446 669 765 766 873 920|
Department of Municipal and Community Affairs,
Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre,
Canada Flight Supplement
Dettah[pronunciation?] or Detah is a First Nations community in the North Slave Region of the Northwest Territories, Canada. Located just outside the capital of Yellowknife, it is a 6.5 km (4.0 mi) drive from that town by ice road in winter or a 27 km (17 mi) drive via the Ingraham Trail. The name means 'Burnt Point' in the Tli Cho language and refers to a traditional fishing camp used by the Dene for hundreds of years.
|Sources: NWT Bureau of Statistics (2001 - 2017)|
According to the 2016 Census, Dettah had a population of 219 people, an increase of 4.3% from the 2011 Census, consisting almost entirely of First Nations and a few Métis. In 2017, the Government of the Northwest Territories reported that the population was 245 with an average yearly growth rate of -0.2% from 2007. Both it and Ndilǫ are the communities of the Yellowknives. Dettah is represented by the Yellowknives Dene First Nation (Dettah) and are part of the Akaitcho Territory Government.
- Census Profile, 2016 Census Detah, Settlement (Census subdivision), Northwest Territories and Northwest Territories (Territory)
- "NWT Communities - Dettah". Government of the Northwest Territories: Department of Municipal and Community Affairs. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Northwest Territories Official Community Names and Pronunciation Guide". Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre. Yellowknife: Education, Culture and Employment, Government of the Northwest Territories. Archived from the original on 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 3 January 2019 to 0901Z 28 February 2019.
- Differences in Community Government Structures
- Population Estimates By Community from the GNWT
- Detah - Statistical Profile
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada Archived 2007-06-11 at Archive.today
- Northwest Territories, and BHP Billiton Diamonds Inc. Communities and Diamonds Socio-Economic Impacts in the Communities of Behchoko, Gameti, Whati, Wekweeti, Detah, Ndilo, Lutsel K'e, and Yellowknife: 2005 Annual Report of the Government of the Northwest Territories Under the BHP Billiton, Diavik and De Beers Socio-Economic Agreements. [Yellowknife]: Govt. of the Northwest Territories, 2006.
Media related to Dettah at Wikimedia Commons