|First appearance||Black Panther, vol. 3 #1 (November 1998)|
|Created by||Christopher Priest|
The Dora Milaje are fictional characters appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. They are a team of women who serve as special forces for the fictional African nation of Wakanda.
The Dora Milaje first appeared in Black Panther, vol. 3 #1 (November 1998), created by writer Christopher Priest and artist Mark Texeira. The Dora Milaje share similarities with the Dahomey Amazons, the all-female military regiment of the Kingdom of Dahomey, which was located in West Africa in what is now the Republic of Benin.
Fictional character biography
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)
- Aneka - The former leader of the Dora Milaje. She was later arrested and stripped of her rank after killing a chieftain who had been victimizing the women in her village. After escaping, she became one half of the vigilante duo known as the Midnight Angels.
- Ayo - Aneka's lover and another former Dora Milaje. After Aneka was arrested and sentenced to death, Ayo broke her out of prison. Using a pair of prototype armored suits, the two became the Midnight Angels.
- Okoye – One of the former Dora Milaje.[volume & issue needed] Okoye is of the J'Kuwali tribe and acted as a traditional, proper concomitant to the king, speaking only to him and only in Hausa, an African language not widely spoken in Wakanda and thus affording the king and his wives a measure of privacy.
- Nakia – Nakia is a Wakandan Mutate with superhuman strength, speed, and agility. She is a former Dora Milaje of T'Challa.[volume & issue needed]
- Queen Divine Justice – The street-smart queen of the Jabari tribe of Wakanda raised in Chicago, and former Dora Milaje of T'Challa.[volume & issue needed] She originally went by the name Chanté Giovanni Brown.
|Title||Material collected||Pages||Date Published||ISBN|
|World of Wakanda||Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1–6||144||June 27, 2017||978-1302906504|
|Wakanda Forever||Amazing Spider-Man: Wakanda Forever, X-men: Wakanda Forever, Avengers: Wakanda Forever, Black Panther Annual vol. 2 #1||136||November 6, 2018||978-1302913588|
In other media
- The Dora Milaje appeared in the Black Panther TV series, voiced by Alfre Woodard and Vanessa Marshall.
- Okoye, Nakia, and Divine Justice of the Dora Milaje appeared in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "Welcome to Wakanda."
- The Dora Milaje appeared in Avengers Assemble with Aneka voiced by Erica Luttrell while the generic Dora Milaje are voiced by Daisy Lightfoot and Debra Wilson.
The Dora Milaje appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Florence Kasumba portrays Ayo, a member of the Dora Milaje, in Captain America: Civil War.
- The Dora Milaje appear in the 2018 film Black Panther. Florence Kasumba reprises her role, Danai Gurira portrays Okoye, and Sydelle Noel portrays Xoliswa while the unnamed Dora Milaje are portrayed by Marija Abney, Janeshia Adams-Ginyard, Maria Hippolyte, Marie Mouroum, Jénel Stevens, Zola Williams, Christine Hollingsworth, and Shaunette Renée Wilson.
- Gurira reprises her role as Okoye in Avengers: Infinity War; other Dora Milaje appear as well. Gurira also reprises her role in Avengers: Endgame.
- DeFalco, Tom; Sanderson, Peter; Brevoort, Tom; Teitelbaum, Michael; Wallace, Daniel; Darling, Andrew; Forbeck, Matt; Cowsill, Alan; Bray, Adam (2019). The Marvel Encyclopedia. DK Publishing. p. 115. ISBN 978-1-4654-7890-0.
- Carter, Terry (February 24, 2018). "The Female Warriors Who Inspired Black Panther's Dora Milaje Are Freakin' Badass". Popsugar. Archived from the original on February 26, 2018. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- Scott, Sydney (11 November 2016). "Roxane Gay And Yona Harvey Didn't Hesitate To Take On The 'World Of Wakanda'". Essence. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Roxane Gay on How to Build a More Inclusive Comic Book Industry, World of Wakanda and Lumberjanes
- 'Wakanda Forever' Brings Dora Milaje to the Rest of the Marvel Universe
- Fighting for Wakanda Forever
- Broadnax, Jamie (February 21, 2018). "Get to know the Dora Milaje, Black Panther's mighty women warriors". vox.com.
- Black Panther (vol. 6) #1
- "Queen Divine Justice – Marvel Universe: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios". Marvel.com. 2006-06-23. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Voice Of Dora Milaje - Black Panther | Behind The Voice Actors". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved March 12, 2018. Check mark indicates role has been confirmed using screenshots of closing credits and other reliable sources
- "Voice Of Aneka - Avengers Assemble | Behind The Voice Actors". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved December 14, 2017. Check mark indicates role has been confirmed using screenshots of closing credits and other reliable sources
- "The Zemo Sanction". Avengers Assemble. Season 5. Episode 5. October 14, 2018. Disney XD.
- "Widowmaker". Avengers Assemble. Season 5. Episode 21. February 17, 2019. Disney XD.
- "Forest Whitaker Joins Marvel's 'Black Panther'". Marvel.com. October 7, 2016. Archived from the original on October 7, 2016. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- "Forest Whitaker Joins Marvel's 'Black Panther'". News - Marvel.com.
- Strom, Marc (July 23, 2016). "SDCC 2016: Marvel's 'Black Panther' Confirms Additional Cast". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on August 31, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- Ching, Albert (July 23, 2016). "SDCC: Marvel Studios Reveals Latest Phase 3 Secrets". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on July 25, 2016. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- Marston, George (August 4, 2017). "Report: Arrow Adds Black Panther Actress in Recurring Role". Newsarama. Archived from the original on August 5, 2017. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Black Panther Press Kit" (PDF). Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Archived (PDF) from the original on March 10, 2019. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (14 June 2017). "'The Walking Dead's Danai Gurira Starring In 'Avengers: Infinity War'". Retrieved 4 May 2018.