Douglas McCombs with Tortoise in London, February 2016
|Birth name||Douglas McCombs|
1962 (age 55–56)|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, lap slide guitar, guitar|
Douglas McCombs (born 1962) plays bass and guitar with the instrumental rock band Tortoise and leads the instrumental band Brokeback. He is also the longtime bassist for the rock band Eleventh Dream Day. In 1997, he formed Pullman with Bundy K. Brown, Chris Brokaw, and Curtis Harvey, with whom he released two albums. In May 2018, McCombs replaced Eric Claridge as the touring bassist with Chicago jazz-pop outfit The Sea and Cake.
Brokeback is a project of McCombs. It has featured the following artists:
- Rob Mazurek
- Noel Kupersmith
- Mary Hansen (Stereolab)
- James McNew (Yo La Tengo)
- Chad Taylor (Chicago Underground Duo)
- Tim Foljahn (Two Dollar Guitar)
- James Elkington (The Zincs, Tweedy, The Horse's Ha)
- R. Christopher Hansen (Pinebender)
- Areif Sless-Kitain
- Pete Croke
- Another Routine Day Breaks, 7-inch EP, Hi-Ball Records - 1997
- Returns to the Orange Grove, Thrill Jockey - 1997
- Field Recordings from Cook County Water Table, Thrill Jockey - 1999
- Morse Code In The Modern Age: Across The Americas, Thrill Jockey - 2001
- Looks at the Bird, Thrill Jockey - 2003
- Brokeback and the Black Rock, Thrill Jockey - 2013
- Illinois River Valley Blues, Thrill Jockey - 2017
- Bush, John. "Biography: Tortoise". AMG. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- McCarthy, Kieran. "Biography: Brokeback". AMG. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- Ankeny, Jason; Westergaard, Sean. "Biography: Eleventh Dream Day". Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- Kellman, Andy. "Pullman - Biography". Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Kot, Greg. "The Sea and Cake rolls with the changes". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
|This article about a United States bass guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|