Droylsden tram stop
Droylsden tram stop in May 2019
Location of Droylsden in Greater Manchester
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
|Opened||9 February 2013 (preview)|
11 February 2013 (full)
Droylsden is a tram stop on the East Manchester Line (EML) of Greater Manchester's light-rail Metrolink system. It opened on 11 February 2013, after a three-day free trial for local residents. The stop was constructed as part of Phase 3a of the Metrolink's expansion, and is located in Droylsden town centre, a part of Tameside, England.
Before the stop opened, there was much controversy surrounding the development of the Metrolink line, with many Droylsden residents complaining about the disruption to traffic and local businesses. It is mainly due to these concerns that a three-day free trial service was run for local residents.
Services are mostly every 12 minutes on all routes.
Connecting bus routes
Droylsden stop is directly served by a number of services, which stop on Ashton Road or Market Street.
On Ashton Road, Stagecoach Manchester bus service 216 replicates the tram route between Piccadilly Gardens and Droylsden before continuing to Ashton-under-Lyne. Stagecoach/JPT services 217 and 218, which also stops on Ashton Road, run circular routes between Manchester and Mossley serving Droylsden, Dukinfield, Ashton, Tameside General Hospital and Stalybridge.
On Market Street, Stagecoach service 7 (which also stops on Ashton Road), runs between Ashton and Stockport via Gorton and Reddish, while Stagecoach/First service 168 runs between Ashton and Chorlton via Levenshulme and Stagecoach/JPT service 169 runs between Ashton and Southern Cemetery via Levenshulme.
- "It's the final countdown". Transport for Greater Manchester. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Kirby, Dean (4 December 2012). "Opening of Metrolink tram service to Droylsden delayed until February 2013". Archived from the original on 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Droylsden's new Metrolink line to open in February". Transport for Greater Manchester. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Metrolink - Droylsden station" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 January 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Rowley, Tom (2 February 2012). "Droylsden traders angry as 'faulty' work extends Metrolink tram misery". Tameside Advertiser. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Twitter / TamesideCouncil: CllrRobinson announces that..." Tameside Council. Twitter. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Metrolink - East Manchester line". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Droylsden Metrolink station.|
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||