EFF Pioneer Award
The EFF Pioneer Award is an annual prize by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) for people who have made significant contributions to the empowerment of individuals in using computers. Until 1998 it was presented at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., USA. Thereafter it was presented at the Computers, Freedom, and Privacy conference. In 2007 it was presented at the O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference.
- 1992: Douglas Engelbart, Robert E. Kahn, Tom Jennings, Jim Warren, Andrzej Smereczynski
- 1993: Paul Baran, Vint Cerf, Ward Christensen, Dave Hughes, USENET developers (accepted by Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis)
- 1994: Ivan Sutherland, Bill Atkinson, Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman, Murray Turoff and Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Lee Felsenstein, and the WELL (the Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link)
- 1995: Philip Zimmermann, Anita Borg, Willis Ware
- 1996: Robert Metcalfe, Peter Neumann, Shabbir Safdar and Matt Blaze
- 1997: Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil (special award; posthumous with respect to Antheil), Johan Helsingius, Marc Rotenberg
- 1998: Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman, Barbara Simons
- 1999: Jon Postel (posthumous award), Drazen Pantic, Simon Davies 
- 2000: "Librarians Everywhere" (accepted by Karen G. Schneider), Tim Berners-Lee, Phil Agre
- 2001: Bruce Ennis (posthumous award), Seth Finkelstein, Stephanie Perrin
- 2002: Dan Gillmor, Beth Givens, Jon Johansen and Writers of DeCSS
- 2003: Amy Goodman, Eben Moglen, David Sobel
- 2004: Kim Alexander, David Dill, Avi Rubin (for security issues with electronic voting)
- 2005: Mitch Kapor, Edward Felten, Patrick Ball
- 2006: Craigslist, Gigi Sohn, Jimmy Wales
- 2007: Yochai Benkler, Cory Doctorow, Bruce Schneier
- 2008: Mozilla Foundation and its chair Mitchell Baker; Michael Geist; and AT&T whistleblower Mark Klein
- 2009: Limor "Ladyada" Fried, Harri Hursti and Carl Malamud
- 2010: Steven Aftergood, James Boyle, Pamela Jones of the Groklaw website and Hari Krishna Prasad Vemuru
- 2011: Ron Wyden, Ian Goldberg, and Nawaat.org
- 2012: Andrew (bunnie) Huang, Jérémie Zimmermann, The Tor Project
- 2013: Aaron Swartz (posthumous award), James Love, Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras
- 2014: Frank La Rue, Zoe Lofgren, Trevor Paglen
- 2015: Caspar Bowden (posthumous award), Citizen Lab, Anriette Esterhuysen and the Association for Progressive Communications and Kathy Sierra
- McCullagh, Declan (7 April 1999). "Yugoslav Dissident Lauded". Wired News. Retrieved 24 Jul 2014.
- "David Sobel: Senior Counsel". Staff web page. EFF. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- EFF Announces Pioneer Awards 2008
- "EFF Announces 2015 Pioneer Award Winners: Caspar Bowden, Citizen Lab, Anriette Esterhuysen and the Association for Progressive Communications, and Kathy Sierra". Electronic Frontier Foundation. August 26, 2015. Retrieved August 26, 2015.