East Ridge, Tennessee
East Ridge, Tennessee
Gateway to Tennessee
Location of East Ridge in Hamilton County, Tennessee.
|• Mayor||Brian Williams|
|• Vice-Mayor||Esther Helton|
|• Total||8.3 sq mi (21.4 km2)|
|• Land||8.3 sq mi (21.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||778 ft (237 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,500/sq mi (980/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1283400|
East Ridge is a city in Hamilton County, Tennessee, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 20,979. East Ridge is bordered by Chattanooga to the west, north, and east, and the Georgia state line to the south. It is part of the Chattanooga, TN–GA Metropolitan Statistical Area. The name of the city comes from its location due east of Missionary Ridge. The Bachman Tubes beneath Missionary Ridge link East Ridge with downtown Chattanooga.
East Ridge is located at (34.996674, -85.237482).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.3 square miles (21 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,640 people, 9,288 households, and 5,739 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,497.3 people per square mile (964.8/km²). There were 9,876 housing units at an average density of 1,194.9 per square mile (461.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.32% White, 3.21% African American, 0.31% Native American, 1.68% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.09% of the population.
There were 9,288 households out of which 24.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.2% were non-families. 33.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the city, the population was spread out with 19.5% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,347, and the median income for a family was $43,858. Males had a median income of $31,359 versus $23,659 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,346. About 6.7% of families and 8.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.7% of those under age 18 and 7.0% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
The East Ridge City Library is located within the City Hall. In 2008 the East Ridge History Center opened showcasing local history and culture. A community center is also available for use by the public. Located next to City Hall and the Pioneer Frontier Playground, it offers programs for the community.
Parks and recreation
Camp Jordan is a local park and an arena. The arena provides space for special and sporting events. Camp Jordan has 13 ball fields, nine soccer fields, an amphitheater, RV spaces, a sand volleyball court, picnic pavilion, fishing pond, playground, and a walking track. East Ridge is home to the East Ridge Soccer Association, which provides soccer programs for youth and adults. The East Ridge Baseball/Softball Association supports ball games for boys and girls.
The City is governed by a City Council and a weak mayor form of government with a city manager taking care of the day-to-day business of the city.
East Ridge has four public schools, which are part of the Hamilton County Schools system: East Ridge Elementary, Spring Creek Elementary, East Ridge Middle School, and East Ridge High School, as well as two private schools: Belvoir Christian Academy and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School.
The East Ridge Police Department maintains public safety within the city and is a full service and state certified agency. The City of East Ridge Animal Services Division provides animal services by way of animal control and an animal shelter for the city.
East Ridge is home to Parkridge East Hospital, a branch of Parkridge Medical Center.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 8, 2006. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on June 11, 2013. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Library". Administration. City of East Ridge. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Museum". Administration. City of East Ridge. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Camp Jordan". City of East Ridge. 2007. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Welcome to East Ridge Soccer Association!". Home. East Ridge Soccer Association. 2009. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Welcome". Home. East Ridge Baseball / Softball Association. 2011. Archived from the original on November 7, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "School information". Administration. City of East Ridge. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "EAST RIDGE POLICE DEPARTMENT". Police Services. City of East Ridge. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "East Ridge Animal Services". Administration. City of East Ridge. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "New to East Ridge?". Administration. City of East Ridge. Archived from the original on December 4, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "About Parkridge East Hospital". About. Parkridge East Hospital. 2009. Retrieved November 12, 2011.