Eastside Preparatory School
|Eastside Preparatory School|
|10613 NE 38th Place
Kirkland, Washington 98033
|School type||Independent, Middle School and High School|
|Motto||Think critically. Act responsibly. Lead compassionately. Innovate wisely.|
|Head of school||Dr. Terry Macaluso|
|MS Head||Sam Uzwack|
|US Head||Bart Gummere|
|Age range||10–18 years|
|Number of students||370|
|Average class size||15|
|Hours in school day||8:00–3:15|
|School color(s)||Gold & Navy Blue|
|Mascot||Edgar the Eagle|
|Team name||Eastside Prep Eagles|
|Accreditation||NWAIS, NAIS, State of Washington OSPI|
Eastside Preparatory School is an independent school for upper and middle school students. It is located in Kirkland, Washington, USA. It is a secular, coed, college preparatory school for grades 5–12. The Head of School is Dr. Terry Macaluso. The school's mission is to "Guide students to think critically, act responsibly, lead compassionately, and innovate wisely."
Eastside Prep was founded in May 2002 by a group of parents and educators seeking more school choice, with a focus on interdisciplinary work and strategic thinking. Dr. Terry Macaluso, previously Head of School at Lakeside School, was a consultant to the founders and subsequently became the Head of School at Eastside Prep. The school opened its doors in September 2003 with 16 students in grades 6 and 7, along with 3 full-time and 1 part-time faculty. Eastside Prep graduated its first class of students in 2009.
Eastside Prep has expanded each year, adding students, faculty, administrators and buildings. At the beginning of the 2015-16 school year, the school has 87 employees, 53 of which are faculty, and 370 students in grades 5–12.
In fall of 2015, Eastside Prep expanded, completing the rendition of a new 4 story building that included both gyms and three science labs.
Eastside Preparatory School is accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools, (NWAIS, formerly PNAIS). It is also a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and recognized by the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.
In addition to all courses required by the Washington State Graduation Requirements, Eastside Prep offers a multi-year Spanish curriculum, numerous core options and electives in the English, History, Social Sciences, Fine and Performing Arts, Mathematics, Sciences, Environmental Practices, Technology, Information Literacy and Media.
In addition to Physical Education courses, Eastside Prep offers a number of afternoon sports. Eastside Preparatory School has a gym as of 2015. In 2012 the Eastside Prep Eagles opted up to the Emerald City League 1A athletic conference competing against much larger prep schools. In their league are The Bush School, The Overlake School, Seattle Academy of Arts and Sciences, University Prep, The Northwest School, the Annie Wright School and the Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart.
Fall afternoon sports offered for the 2016–17 school year are: Coed Crew (7th–12th), MS Boys Soccer (5th-8th), MS Girls Soccer (5th–8th), MS Coed Cross Country, MS Girls Volleyball, US Girls Volleball, US Boys Ultimate Frisbee
Winter afternoon sports offered for the 2013–14 school year are: 5th Grade Coed Basketball, MS Boys Basketball (6th–8th), MS Girls Basketball (6th–8th), US Boys Basketball, US Girls Basketball, Seasonal Ski Bus
Spring afternoon sports offered for the 2013–14 school year are: Coed Crew (7th–12th), MS Co-Ed Track and Field, MS Coed Ultimate Frisbee, MS Coed Tennis, US Co-Ed Track and Field, US Girls Ultimate Frisbee, US Boys Soccer
Notes and references
- Eastside Preparatory School. "FAQ". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "On the move". Seattle Times. 2009-01-27. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "Faculty Biographies". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Eastside Prep graduates first students". Kirkland Reporter. 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "Inspire Spring 2013 Vol. 4 Issue 2". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Eastside Preparatory signs lease". Seattle Times. 2003-05-16. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "History". Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "For some, 'school choice' means starting their own". Seattle Times. 2003-03-04. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Eastside Preparatory School awarded accreditation". Kirkland Reporter. 2010-02-15. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- NWAIS. "Eastside Preparatory School". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "Eastside Preparatory School Course Catalog 2013-2014" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "Eastside Preparatory School Clubs". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Eastside Prep cleans Kirkland parks for Earth Day". Kirkland Reporter. 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Emerald City League. "Emerald City League - League Member Schools". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "EPS Fall Sports". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "EPS Winter Sports". Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Eastside Preparatory School. "EPS Spring Sports". Retrieved 2014-02-16.