|Directed by||Rajiev Dhingra|
|Produced by||Kapil Sharma|
|Screenplay by||Rajiev Dhingra|
Balwinder Singh Janjua
|Story by||Rajiev Dhingra|
|Starring||Kapil Sharma |
|Narrated by||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Music by||Jatinder Shah|
|Edited by||Omkar Nath Bakhri|
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||₹46.6 crore|
Firangi (transl. Foreigner) is a 2017 Indian period drama film written and directed by Rajiev Dhingra. It stars Kapil Sharma, who is also the producer, along with Ishita Dutta and Monica Gill. The film was shot primarily in Punjab and Rajasthan and had a worldwide release on 1 December 2017. The film received mixed reviews from critics.
In the 1920s, Manga (Kapil Sharma) is an uneducated and jobless young man who dreams of joining the Police Force but fails at every attempt made to do so. During a visit to the village Naku Guda for his friend Heera's (Inaamulhaq) wedding, Manga comes across Sargi (Ishita Dutta) and falls in love with her, but because of being jobless Manga is unable to take forward his relationship with Sargi.
Manga was born with a unique ability that he could cure anyone's backache with a simple kick to their backside. One day he manages to cure Mark Daniel (Edward Sonnenblick) of his backache using the same ability of his. Impressed by this act of Manga, Mark offers him a job in the Police Force, which Manga happily accepts. Manga is now convinced that since he has a job now, Sargi's family won't object to his marriage with her and so he approaches Sargi's grandfather Lalaji (Aanjjan Srivastav) with regards to this. But Lalaji, who is a follower of Mahatma Gandhi refuses the proposal because Manga is working for the Britishers, the very same people with whom the people of the country are fighting to get their independence from.
- Kapil Sharma as Manga
- Ishita Dutta as Sargi
- Monica Gill as Princess Shyamali Devi
- Edward Sonnenblick as Mark Daniels
- Kumud Mishra as Raja Inderveer Singh
- Inaamulhaq as Heera
- Neeta Mohindra as Maharani/Mother of Shyamali Devi
- Rajesh Sharma
- Aanjjan Srivastav as Lala Ji
- Jatinder Kaur as Grandmother of Manga
- Jameel Khan
- Vishal O Sharma
- Maryam Zakaria as item number "Guldaban"
- Roshni Walia as Nimmo
- Hagupreet Singh
- Ghulam Hussain
According to the film director Rajiev Dhingra and producer Kapil Sharma, the idea behind making Firangi was to tell a story set in pre-partition era without making the freedom movement of India, which was prevalent at that time, as its focal point. Kapil said that most films set in pre-independence era have been about the freedom struggle and the tragedies that took place at that time, so they decided to make a story which would focus on the day-to-day lives of people and the simple moments of happiness that they shared with each other.
|“||"We had an observation: all the movies that were made during the partition era invariably showed the dark and the tragic side. My grandfather, who was from Pakistan, used to share sad stories about displacement, but he also regaled us of a time when people used to celebrate Eid and Diwali together. Those happy tales spurred the idea for Firangi. So we thought, why not make a film that showed the normal life and the love that blossomed between a couple in the pre-partition era?||”|
|— Kapil Sharma on the thought process that conceived the movie Firangi.|
Initially, the film was set to release on 10 November 2017, however on 12 October 2017 it was announced that the film would be releasing on 24 November 2017. On 21 November, the release date was again postponed due to the delay in obtaining a censor certificate from the Central Board of Film Certification. After obtaining a U/A certificate from the CBFC, Firangi was released on 1 December 2017.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 November 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Jatinder Shah chronology|
|Singles from Firangi|
The soundtrack of Firangi is composed by Jatinder Shah while the lyrics have been penned by Dr. Devendra Kafir except one song Gulbadan, lyrics by Ashraf Ali and Krishna Bhardwaj. The first song of the film "Oye Firangi" sung by Sunidhi Chauhan was released on 27 October 2017. The second track of the film titled as "Sajna Sohne Jiha" sung by Jyoti Nooran was released on 2 November 2017. The third single to be released was "Sahiba Russ Gayiya" which is sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was released on 9 November 2017. The music of the film was officially released by Zee Music Company on 21 November 2017 which includes 6 songs.
|1.||"Oye Firangi"||Sunidhi Chauhan||3:19|
|2.||"Sajna Sohne Jiha"||Jyoti Nooran||3:34|
|3.||"Sahiba Russ Gayiya"||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||4:20|
|4.||"Tu Jit Jawna"||Daler Mehndi||3:48|
|5.||"Gulbadan"||Mamta Sharma Devender Pal Singh||4:00|
|6.||"Sahiba" (Male Unplugged)||Shafqat Amanat Ali||4:22|
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, Firangi has an approval rating of 20% based on five reviews, with an average rating of 4 out of 10. Subhash K. Jha gave the film a rating of 4 stars out of 5, and called it "Deliriously Enjoyable Even For Non-Kapil Fans!". He further stated that "Those who think Kapil’s days are numbered should make it a point to see what unrehearsed energy he brings to even the most mundane conversation about a bar of soap." Rajeev Masand of News18 gave the film a rating of 1.5 stars out of 5 and said that, "Firangi is a bloated two hour forty minute exercise designed to suggest that Kapil Sharma can act but to survive the film you need to be chained to your seat with toothpicks holding up your eyelids". Shristi Negi of News 18 gave the film a rating of 1.5 stars out of 5 and said that, "The random execution of the movie fails to add anything of interest to the plot. Even with great supporting cast like Aanjjan Srivastav and Rajesh Sharma, the film feels frustratingly disjointed.". Sweta Kausal of Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 1 star out of 5 and said that, "the boring narrative, an incoherent screenplay and mismatch between milieu and discourse in certain scenes of the film make it an extremely mind-numbing affair". Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 and criticized the film for its excessive length and inconsistent screenplay and said that, "Neither the comic potential at the core of the film nor the energy of Kapil Sharma's antics is enough to pull it out of the irremediable mess it degenerates into.".
Renuka Vyavahare of The Times of India gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 saying that, "Firangi moves at a snail's pace leading us to a semi-fun climax. Sadly, the film doesn't even fall into 'so bad, it's good' category. It is outright boring and thus not even perversely entertaining". Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 and said that, "The trouble with this mildly engaging film, with a solid supporting cast, is that it is far too long.". Bollywood Hungama gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 saying that, "On the whole, due to its weak script and lack of comedy Firangi fails to leave a lasting impression. Besides this, the long run time of 161 mins will leave the audiences impatient and restless.".
Nandini Ramnath of Scroll criticized the movie saying that, "At 160 minutes, Rajiev Dhingra’s movie is highly overstretched, and squanders its comic potential despite having a comedian as its hero." Aman Khurana of Times Now gave the film a rating of 2 stars out of 5 and said that, "Packed with unappealing performances and a done-to-death storyline, Firangi is a below average affair." Rituraj Sharma of Republic World gave the film a rating of 1.5 stars out of 5 and said that, "Kapil Sharma has made his name in the entertainment industry for his wit and his ability to generate laughter with his over the top and quirky acting. It's a pity that none of that could be seen in this film. Directed by Rajiev Dhingra, Firangi is a poorly executed film".
|10th Mirchi Music Awards||Raag-Inspired Song of the Year||"Sajna Sohne Jiha"||Nominated|||
- "WOW! Amitabh Bachchan does voiceover for Kapil Sharma's film". Bollywood Hungama.
- "K9 FILMS PRIVATE LIMITED". Zauba Corp.
- "The Kapil Sharma Show Live Interview on Film Firangi Shooting in Bikaner,Rajasthan,India". YouTube.
- A. Kameshwari (22 November 2017). "Kapil Sharma starrer Firangi release postponed to December 1". The Indian Express. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Firangi". PVR Cinemas.
- "FIRANGI". British Board of Film Classification.
- "Firangi movie review: Bollywood critics and celebs laud Kapil Sharma-starrer". International Business Times.
- "Watch: The 'kickass' trailer of Kapil's Firangi is full of emotions and drama". Deccan Chronicle. 24 October 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Firangi Co-Star Ishita Dutta REVEALS About Kapil Sharma's Behaviour On The Sets!". Yahoo.
- "And that's a wrap ladies and gents!". Facebook.
- "An Englishman in Mumbai decodes puzzling Indian traditions through Indipedia". Mid-Day.
- "Firangi Official Trailer". YouTube.
- "From Backstage to On-Screen Inaamulhaq reunites with Kapil Sharma for 'FIRANGI'".
- "Inaamulhaq comes on-board Kapil Sharma's Firangi". Indiatimes.
- "Kapil Sharma's co-star Ishita Dutta asked to remain tightlipped about 'Firangi'". Mid-Day.
- "Maryam Zakaria excited about her dance song with Kapil Sharma in Firangi". The Indian Express.
- "Interview With 'Firangi' Kapil Sharma". YouTube.
- "Kapil Sharma & Rajiv Dhingra In Conversation With Komal Nahta". YouTube.
- "Kapil Sharma bounces back in Bollywood with 'Firangi'". Gulf News.
- "Kapil Sharma's 'Firangi' to clash with Rajkummar Rao's 'Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana'". Daily News and Analysis. 2 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "Watch: First motion poster of Firangi sees Kapil Sharma as a proud Indian". The Times of India. 13 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- Subhash K. Jha (21 November 2017). "BREAKING: CBFC strikes again, release of Kapil Sharma's film Firangi postponed, to release in place of Padmavati". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Firangi". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Firangi Movie Review: It Is Deliriously Enjoyable Even For Non-Kapil Fans!". SKJ Bollywood News.
- "Rajeev Masand review of Firangi". YouTube.
- "Firangi Movie Review: Kapil Sharma-Starrer is So Bad It's Funny". News 18.
- "Firangi movie review: Kapil Sharma flaunts his acting in a mundane film". Hindustan Times.
- "Firangi Movie Review: Kapil Sharma Is As Much To Blame For This Bloated Film As The Screenplay". NDTV.
- "Firangi Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Firangi movie review: This Kapil Sharma starrer is mildly engaging". The Indian Express.
- "Movie Review: Firangi fails to leave a lasting impression". Bollywood Hungama.
- "'Firangi' film review: Why so serious, Kapil Sharma?". Scroll.in.
- "Firangi Review: An outright boring affair with Kapil Sharma trying too hard". Times Now.
- "Firangi Review: Kapil Sharma Is Far From Being Funny". Republic World.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 13 March 2018.