List of Firefox extensions
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015)|
|Origins and lineage|
This is a list of some of the many available Firefox extensions, or software add-ons designed for Mozilla Firefox-based web browsers. Many Firefox extensions work in the SeaMonkey web browser as well as the Thunderbird e-mail client.
- 1 Official
- 2 Website integration
- 3 Application integration
- 4 Browser features
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- ChatZilla – a full-fledged Internet Relay Chat client that works inside Firefox.
- DOM Inspector – for web developers. It allows them to inspect the Document Object Model tree of any page.
- AniWeather – displays animated/graphical weather report from weather.com and weather.gov.
- Forecastfox Weather – displays a summary of weather forecast from AccuWeather.
- LibX – library catalogues.
- StumbleUpon – allows users to encounter random sites based upon the rating given by stumblers and their interests.
- FB Purity - Adds lots of filtering and customization options to Facebook.
- WiseStamp – empowers users' emails with social profiles and dynamic Email Apps.
- Google Earth – provides full integration of Google Earth into the browser.
- Google Toolbar – provides features related to Google Search as a toolbar.
- Googlepedia – shows users Wikipedia articles along with their Google search results.
- FastestFox – integrates Wikipedia functionality into Firefox and recommends related articles.
- Universal Edit Button – notifies user when a web page contains editable content.
- FlashGot – provides download features and integration with a variety of external download managers.
- FoxyTunes – controls external media players.
- All-in-One Sidebar – adds enhanced sidebar functionality similar to that found in the Opera web browser.
- Automatik Text Reader – a multi-language text-to-speech plug-in for Firefox.
- Capture Fox – is a screencast tool which captures the Firefox window as well as the whole screen and records the user's voice.
- Cooliris – a tool for browsing photos and videos from the web or a desktop.
- Flashblock – prevents Flash content from running without being explicitly started (clicked) or whitelisted.
- Hyperwords – allows users to select text and perform rich commands, such as instant Wikipedia look-ups, in-page translations, conversions, etc.
- Image Zoom – allows users to change image sizes within the page.
- Lightbeam – displays third party tracking cookies placed on the user's computer while visiting various websites with graph.
- Pentadactyl and Vimperator – make Firefox feel and behave like the Vim text editor.
- Surf Canyon – is a real-time relevance feedback application which provides implicit personalization of search results on several major search engines.
- Text to Voice – is used for making Firefox speak whatever has been selected from the webpage.
- Turn Off the Lights – is used to obscure or mask content other than a running video (context cosmetics to enhance user experience or UX or QoE, i.e., quality of experience.)
- Zotero – enables users to collect, manage, and cite research from all types of sources from the browser.
- ScrapBook – adds enhanced scrapbooking, page saving, bookmarking, and notetaking functionality.
- Xmarks Sync – adds online bookmark and password synchronization, as well as bookmark tagging and suggested sites.
- DéjàClick – enables user to record and playback complex web transactions via a free web recorder for Firefox.
- Greasemonkey – allows users to install user scripts that modify specific web pages.
- iMacros – a macro recorder for the Firefox web browser.
- Stylish – allows the user to install custom CSS that can modify specific web pages and XUL application interfaces.
- DownThemAll! – a download manager/accelerator.
- PDF Download – allows users to customize the handling of PDF files.
- Video DownloadHelper – used to download videos from sites like YouTube or Metacafe.
- Morning Coffee – a news displayer.
- Operator – parses microformats.
- Sage – a lightweight feed reader extension.
- Tong Wen Tang, converts web pages into Traditional or Simplified Chinese characters for Chinese-language users.
- Adblock Plus – is used for blocking ads via a paired blacklist and whitelist.
- Firefox Environment Backup Extension – (also known as FEBE) - Backup and restore extensions, themes, usernames/passwords, bookmarks, browser history and more.
- Ghostery, Disconnect and AdBlock Edge – advertisement networks and spy cookies blocking; forks of AdBlock Plus
- HTTPS Everywhere – automatically switches to HTTP Secure whenever possible.
- LastPass, 1Password – offers password management, portability and security.
- Privacy Badger – blocks canvas fingerprinting and blocks advertisements and tracking cookies that do not respect the Do Not Track setting in a user's web browser.
- uBlock – a free, cross-platform browser extension for content-filtering, including ad-blocking.
- WOT Services – shows its users the reputations of websites and adds security icons next to search results, email links, as well as Wikipedia.
Some plug-ins mentioned in other categories at this page (such as AdBlock/AdBlock Plus) will also increase security. Also, Tor, Torbutton, and Torlauncher aren't mentioned as they are not simply plugins for Firefox but instead only work on modified Firefox versions Besides these add-ons, changing settings in Firefox-Preferences and in about:config also will help with privacy and security.
- Showcase – shows tabs as thumbnails, to preview, manage and search across them.
- Tab Mix Plus – provides tabbed browsing enhancements.
Website development tools
- Alexa Toolbar – provides access to SEO data.
- ColorZilla – adds an eye dropper (color reader), color palettes, page zooming, and displays element information.
- FireFTP – is a cross-platform FTP client which provides access to FTP servers.
- Web Developer – adds a menu and a toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools.