List of Firefox extensions
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
|Origins and lineage|
This is a list of some of the many available Firefox extensions, or software add-ons designed for Mozilla Firefox-based web browsers. Many Firefox extensions work in the SeaMonkey web browser as well as the Thunderbird e-mail client.
- 1 Official
- 2 Website integration
- 3 Application integration
- 4 Browser features
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- ChatZilla – a full-fledged Internet Relay Chat client that works inside Firefox.
- DOM Inspector – for web developers. It allows them to inspect the Document Object Model tree of any page.
- AniWeather – displays animated/graphical weather report from weather.com and weather.gov.
- Forecastfox Weather – displays a summary of weather forecast from AccuWeather.
- LibX – library catalogues.
- StumbleUpon – allows users to encounter random sites based upon the rating given by stumblers and their interests.
- FB Purity - Adds lots of filtering and customization options to Facebook.
- WiseStamp – empowers users' emails with social profiles and dynamic Email Apps.
- Google Earth – provides full integration of Google Earth into the browser.
- Google Toolbar – provides features related to Google Search as a toolbar.
- Googlepedia – shows users Wikipedia articles along with their Google search results.
- FastestFox – integrates Wikipedia functionality into Firefox and recommends related articles.
- Universal Edit Button – notifies user when a web page contains editable content.
- FlashGot – provides download features and integration with a variety of external download managers.
- FoxyTunes – controls external media players.
- Lightbeam – displays third party tracking cookies placed on the user's computer while visiting various websites with graph.
- Turn Off the Lights – is used to obscure or mask content other than a running video (context cosmetics to enhance user experience or UX or QoE, i.e., quality of experience.)
- All-in-One Sidebar – adds enhanced sidebar functionality similar to that found in the Opera web browser.
- Capture Fox – is a screencast tool which captures the Firefox window as well as the whole screen and records the user's voice.
- Cooliris – a tool for browsing photos and videos from the web or a desktop.
- Flashblock – prevents Flash content from running without being explicitly started (clicked) or whitelisted.
- Hyperwords – allows users to select text and perform rich commands, such as instant Wikipedia look-ups, in-page translations, conversions, etc.
- Image Zoom – allows users to change image sizes within the page.
- Pentadactyl and Vimperator – make Firefox feel and behave like the Vim text editor.
- Surf Canyon – is a real-time relevance feedback application which provides implicit personalization of search results on several major search engines.
- Text to Voice – is used for making Firefox speak whatever has been selected from the webpage.
- Zotero – enables users to collect, manage, and cite research from all types of sources from the browser.
- ScrapBook – adds enhanced scrapbooking, page saving, bookmarking, and notetaking functionality.
- Xmarks Sync – adds online bookmark and password synchronization, as well as bookmark tagging and suggested sites.
- DéjàClick – enables user to record and playback complex web transactions via a free web recorder for Firefox.
- Greasemonkey – allows users to install user scripts that modify specific web pages.
- iMacros – a macro recorder for the Firefox web browser.
- Stylish – allows the user to install custom CSS that can modify specific web pages and XUL application interfaces.
- DownThemAll! – a download manager/accelerator.
- PDF Download – allows users to customize the handling of PDF files.
- Video DownloadHelper – used to download videos from sites like YouTube or Metacafe.
- Morning Coffee – a news displayer.
- Operator – parses microformats.
- Sage – a lightweight feed reader extension.
- Tong Wen Tang, converts web pages into Traditional or Simplified Chinese characters for Chinese-language users.
- Adblock Plus – is used for blocking ads via a paired blacklist and whitelist.
- HTTPS Everywhere – automatically switches to HTTP Secure whenever possible.
- Privacy Badger – blocks Canvas Fingerprinting
- uBlock – a free, cross-platform browser extension for content-filtering, including ad-blocking.
- WOT Services – warns you about risky sites by adding security icons next to search results, email links, as well as Wikipedia.
- Ghostery, Disconnect and AdBlock Edge – advertisement networks and spy cookies blocking; forks of AdBlock Plus
- Stealthy – lets you visit websites that are restricted based on geographical location, governmental or organizational regulations.
- Offer Assistant – password management, shopping, and bill pay add-on.
- LastPass – offers password management, portability and security.
- Best Proxy Switcher, AutoProxy, Elite Proxy Switcher, One Click Proxy IP, Proxy Selector, FoxyProxy, ...: auto-proxy plugins; note that there are security issues with using proxy servers altogether though
Some plug-ins mentioned in other categories at this page (such as AdBlock/AdBlock Plus) will also increase security. Also, Tor, Torbutton, and Torlauncher aren't mentioned as they are not simply plugins for Firefox but instead only work on modified Firefox versions Finally also note that besides the privacy plugins, changing settings in Firefox-Preferences and in about:config is also very important.
- Showcase – shows tabs as thumbnails, to preview, manage and search across them.
- Tab Mix Plus – provides tabbed browsing enhancements.
Website development tools
- Alexa Toolbar – provides access to SEO data.
- ColorZilla – adds an eye dropper (color reader), color palettes, page zooming, and displays element information.
- FireFTP – is a cross-platform FTP client which provides access to FTP servers.
- Web Developer – adds a menu and a toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools.