|Initial release||21 May 2019|
|Available in||5 languages|
|License||Mozilla Public License 2.0|
Firefox Lockwise is a password manager for the Firefox web browser, as well as the mobile operating systems iOS and Android. On desktop, Lockwise is simply part of Firefox, whereas on iOS and Android it is available as a standalone app.
Developed by Mozilla, it was originally named Firefox Lockbox in 2018. It was renamed "Lockwise" in May 2019. It was introduced for iOS on 10 July 2018 as part of the Test Pilot program. On 26 March 2019, it was released for Android.
On desktop, Lockwise started out as a browser addon. Alphas were released between March and August 2019. Since Firefox version 70, Lockwise has been integrated into the browser (accessible at
about:logins), having replaced a basic password manager presented in a popup window.
- Mozilla; "Firefox Lockwise - Apps on Google Play"; published in: Google Play; publication date: 14 December 2020; retrieved: 14 March 2021.
- Mozilla; "Firefox Lockwise on the App Store"; published in: App Store; publication date: 16 April 2021.
- "Firefox Lockwise for Android".
- "Firefox Lockwise for iOS".
- Whitney, By Lance; August 21, 2019 10:30AM EST; August 21, 2019. "How to Manage Web Passwords With Firefox Lockwise". PCMAG. Retrieved 2019-11-18.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Software, Catherine Ellis 2019-06-04T13:00:01Z. "Mozilla launches new desktop password manager, Firefox Lockwise". TechRadar. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Firefox 70.0 release notes". Mozilla. October 22, 2019.
- "Firefox Lockwise Aims to Revamp Browser Password Management". BleepingComputer. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "New Privacy Features for Mozilla Firefox, Lockwise Is Live". BleepingComputer. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Rename "Firefox Lockbox" to "Firefox Lockwise" after May 28". GitHub. 25 May 2019.
Lockbox is getting a new name on 28 May [for the "Trailhead" release, a product update.]
- Nguyen, Nick. "Introducing Firefox's First Mobile Test Pilot Experiments: Lockbox and Notes". The Mozilla Blog. Retrieved 2019-06-26.
- Nguyen, Nick. "Firefox Lockbox Now on Android, Keeping your Passwords Safe". The Mozilla Blog. Retrieved 2019-06-26.
- "Firefox Lockbox for Desktop". Firefox. 10 Aug 2019. (Firefox addon repository)
- at 19:00, Richard Speed 22 Oct 2019. "Minigame: Celebrate Firefox 70's release by finding a website with 70+ trackers blocked". www.theregister.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Password Manager in Firefox". Firefox Help. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
Password Manager is now Firefox Lockwise! The interface for managing usernames and passwords was entirely redesigned and is now based on the Firefox Lockwise add-on.