|Created by||Marco Pennette |
Brian J. White
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Maureen Chadwick
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Shed Productions
|Picture format||480i (SDTV),
|Related shows||Footballers' Wives|
Football Wives is a television pilot developed for U.S. television network ABC, which would have aired in the fall 2007 season had it been picked up for a series order. The show is based on the successful British television series Footballers' Wives (though it features American football rather than the British original's association football), and follows the dramatic private lives of the players from the fictional NFL team the Orlando Stingrays. The pilot was written by Marco Pennette and directed by Bryan Singer.
Though ABC did not pick up Football Wives when the network announced its 2007-2008 line-up on May 15, 2007, a June 28, 2007 article in the The Hollywood Reporter reported that production company ABC Studios had extended its options on the show's cast, and suggested the possibility that the network might have still been interested in the series. The Reporter also speculated that Football Wives had a chance for pickup by another network, with NBC and FOX reportedly interested. Football Wives was one of at least six pilots turned down by ABC, and reportedly "tested very well with women and only so so for the men." 
A number of websites, including the British media website Digital Spy, speculated that Football Wives was not picked up due to potential conflicts with the National Football League. ABC's sister network ESPN carries Monday Night Football, and itself dropped a similar series called Playmakers after an 11-episode run in 2003.
Cast and characters
- Gabrielle Union as Chardonnay Lane
- Brian J. White as Kyle Jameson
- Lucy Lawless as Tanya Austin
- Kiele Sanchez as Donna Reynolds
- Eddie Cibrian as Jason Austin
- Ving Rhames as Frank Wallingford
- James Van Der Beek as Brian Reynolds
- Arielle Kebbel as Nicole Holt
- Holly Robinson-Peete as Jackie Jameson
- Christopher McDaniel as Sal Biagi
- Annette Chavez as Yolanda
- Sarah Rafferty as Kelly Cooper
- Kelly Monaco as Ruby Munroe
- Joel Michaely as Simon Sills
- Spencer Garrett as Coach Hicks
- "ABC's Football Wives Still Alive: Studio extends options on drama pilot's cast". Zap2it.com June 28, 2007.
- "Primetime Pilot Panic: Hot Handicapping" - Nikki Finke's DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com Posted May 3, 2007.
- Welsh, James. "ABC drops US Footballers' Wives." DigitalSpy.co.uk. May 15, 2007. The article erroneously notes that ABC also carries NFL games, which actually left the network after the 2005-2006 season to instead air on ESPN, also owned by The Walt Disney Company.
- Shows A-Z: Football Wives on ABC - TheFutonCritic.com