Football at the 1908 Summer Olympics
|Host country||Great Britain|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||Great Britain (2nd title)|
|Goals scored||48 (8 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Sophus Nielsen (11 goals)|
At the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, Great Britain, an official football tournament between national representative selections was contested for the first time: football at the two previous games had been played between club teams. Eight teams entered (including two from France), although Hungary and Bohemia withdrew before the start. Denmark's Sophus "Krølben" Nielsen set a record by scoring 10 goals in a 17-1 win against France. Great Britain won the gold. Among those representing the Danish team was the famous mathematician Harald Bohr.
|1||Great Britain (GBR)||1||0||0|
|N. Middelboe 10', 49'
Wolfhagen 15', 17', 67', 72'
Bohr 25', 47'
S. Nielsen 78'
|Stapley 15', ??'
Woodward ??', ??'
Purnell ??', ??', ??', ??'
Hawkes ??', ??'
|Stapley 37', 60', 64', 75'||Report|
|S. Nielsen 3', 4', 6', 39', 46', 48', 52', 64', 66', 76'
Lindgren 18', 37'
Wolfhagen 60', 72', 82', 89'
N. Middelboe 68'
Bronze medal match
The French were so shocked by their 17-1 defeat against Denmark that they declined to play for the bronze medal; therefore, the Netherlands played Sweden for third place.
Gold medal match
- 11 goals
- Sophus Nielsen (Denmark)
- 8 goals
- Vilhelm Wolfhagen (Denmark)
- 6 goals
- Harold Stapley (Great Britain)
- 4 goals
- Clyde Purnell (Great Britain)
- 3 goals
- 2 goals
- 1 goal
|1||Horace Bailey||Great Britain||1||3||0.33|
- "Football at the 1908 London Summer Games". Sports Reference. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- Those players were also in squad, but did not play any matches.
- (in Danish) Slutrundetrupper 1908-2004 at Danish Football Association
- The official report states that the score was 2-1. http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1908/1908.pdf[permanent dead link] "Holland and Sweden also played for the consolation stakes, and Holland scored two goals to one from Sweden, who were rather unlucky in not getting a second."
- "Netherlands 2 Sweden 0 (Match summary)". www.footballdatabase.eu. 23 October 1908. Retrieved 5 May 2009.
- Cook, Theodore Andrea (1908). The Fourth Olympiad, Being the Official Report. London: British Olympic Association.
- De Wael, Herman (2001). "Football 1908". Herman's Full Olympians. Retrieved 2 May 2006.
- Reyes, Macario (2001). "IV. Olympiad London 1908 Football Tournament". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 2 May 2006.
- "Olympic Tournament, 1908 London". IFFHS. Archived from the original on 7 May 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Association football at the 1908 Summer Olympics.|
- Olympic Football Tournament London 1908, FIFA.com
- IFFHS (archive)
- Games of the IV. Olympiad on RSSSF