The Laurence Frost Amphitheater, commonly known as Frost Amphitheater, is a prominent amphitheater at Stanford University. It first opened in 1937 and was the site of commencement ceremonies for the university from 1938 until 1984. It can hold about 6,900 people.
The amphitheater built in 1937 was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Frost in memory of their son, John Laurence Frost, who graduated in 1935 and died of polio in the same year. It is a tree lined, grassy, tiered 20-acre (81,000 m2) bowl designed by landscape architect Leslie Kiler.
The Grateful Dead played 13 shows at the Amphitheater in 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989. Since 2012, the Stanford Concert Network, a student organization, has hosted the Frost Music and Arts Festival at the Amphitheater, which has featured headliners Modest Mouse, MGMT, Dispatch, and Flume, as well as Eyes Lips Eyes, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, Delorean, Kuroma, Paper Void, Yeasayer, Kaytranada, and AlunaGeorge.
The amphitheater usually hosts a concert (either jazz or classical) and fireworks on July 3.
Notes and references
- "Frost Amphitheater: A trove of Stanford history". Stephanie Condon. Archived from the original on 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "John Lawrence Frost". Wheaton History A-Z. Wheaton College. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Frost Amphitheater". Goldstar. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "Gorbachev defends pace of his reforms in Stanford speech". Stanford University. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- Internet Archive - Grateful Dead shows at Frost Amphitheater. Retrieved May 2009.
- "Stanford's Frost Amphitheater roars back with Modest Mouse on May 19". Stanford University. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "End-of-year Frost Music and Arts Festival features MGMT, Delorean and Kuroma". Stanford University. 2013-03-29. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Paper Void, Yeasayer open for veteran indie band Dispatch at Stanford's Frost Amphitheater". Stanford University. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- Clare Flanagan (2015-05-17). "Frost 2015: A rave to remember". Stanford Daily. Retrieved 2015-06-25.