|Region of origin||Bengal|
Ghoshes mostly belong to Kayastha caste in Bengal. The Bengali Kayasthas evolved as a caste from a category of officials or scribes, between the 5th/6th century AD and 11th/12th century AD, its component elements being putative Kshatriyas and mostly Brahmins. Ghoshes are considered as Kulin Kayasthas, along with Boses and Mitras.
Notable people with the surname Ghosh include:
- Amitav Ghosh (born 1956), Indian writer
- Amitav Ghosh (banker), Indian banker
- Anirvan Ghosh (born 1964), American neuroscientist
- DJ Talent, birth name Anthony Ghosh (born 1978), British reality television contestant
- Atulkrishna Ghosh (1890–1966), Indian revolutionary
- Atulya Ghosh (1904-1986), Indian politician
- Barindra Kumar Ghosh (1880-1959), Indian revolutionary and journalist
- Debaprasad Ghosh (1894-1985), Indian politician
- Dilip Ghosh (economist), American economist
- Dipu Ghosh, Indian badminton player
- Ganesh Ghosh (1900-1994), Bengali Indian independence activist, revolutionary and politician
- Helen Ghosh (born 1956), former British civil servant
- Jayanta Kumar Ghosh (born 1937), Indian statistician
- Jayati Ghosh (born 1955), Indian economist
- Joseph Ghosh (1969-1942), Indian educationist
- Mahesh Chandra Ghosh (1868–1930), Indian philosopher
- Malay Ghosh (born 1944), Indian statistician
- Paramahansa Yogananda, born Mukunda Lal Ghosh (1893-1952), Indian yogi and guru
- Pallab Ghosh (born 1962), Indian journalist
- Prafulla Chandra Ghosh (1891–1983), first Chief Minister of West Bengal, India
- Reshmi Ghosh, Indian beauty queen and actress
- Rabi Ghosh (1931-1997), Indian actor
- Rishab Aiyer Ghosh (born 1975), Dutch journalist, computer scientist and Open-source software advocate
- Rituparno Ghosh (1963-2013), Indian film director
- Robin Ghosh (1929-2016), Bangladeshi musician and music composer
- Sangita Ghosh (born 1976), Indian actress
- Sarat Kumar Ghosh (1878-1962), Indian civil servant and a jurist.
- Shankha Ghosh (born 1932), Indian poet
- Shankar Ghosh (1935-2016), Indian tabla player
- Sisir Kumar Ghosh (1840–1911), Indian journalist
- Sujoy Ghosh, Indian film director, actor and screenwriter
- Shreela Ghosh (born 1962), Indian arts executive and former actor
- Shibdas Ghosh (1923-1976), Indian politician
- Shiulie Ghosh (born 1968), British journalist
- Dhiman Ghosh (born 1987), Bangladeshi cricketer
- Subodh Ghosh (1909–1980), Indian author and journalist
- Subroto Ghosh, Indian cricketer
- Taposh Ghosh (born 1991), Bangladeshi cricketer
- Andre Wink (1991). Al-Hind, the Making of the Indo-Islamic World, Volume 1. Brill Academic Publishers. p. 269. ISBN 978-90-04-09509-0. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- Hopkins, Thomas J. (1989). "The Social and Religious Background for Transmission of Gaudiya Vaisnavism to the West". In Bromley, David G.; Shinn, Larry D. Krishna consciousness in the West. Bucknell University Press. pp. 35–36. ISBN 978-0-8387-5144-2. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- John R. McLane (2002). Land and Local Kingship in Eighteenth-Century Bengal. Cambridge University Press. p. 157. ISBN 978-0-5215-2654-8.
- Oh Calcutta (Volume 22 ed.). University of Virginia. 1993.
|This page lists people with the surname Ghosh. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|