|Region of origin||Bengal|
Ghoshes mostly belong to Kayastha caste in Bengal. The Bengali Kayasthas evolved as a caste from a category of officials or scribes, between the 5th/6th century AD and 11th/12th century AD, its component elements being putative Kshatriyas and mostly Brahmins. Ghoshes are considered as Kulin Kayasthas of Soukalin gotra, along with Boses and Mitras.
Notable people with the surname Ghosh include:
- Amitav Ghosh (born 1956), Indian writer
- Amitav Ghosh (banker), Indian banker
- Anirvan Ghosh (born 1964), American neuroscientist
- DJ Talent, birth name Anthony Ghosh (born 1978), British reality television contestant
- Atulkrishna Ghosh (1890–1966), Indian revolutionary
- Atulya Ghosh (1904–1986), Indian politician
- Barindra Kumar Ghosh (1880–1959), Indian revolutionary and journalist
- Debaprasad Ghosh (1894–1985), Indian politician
- Dhiman Ghosh (born 1987), Bangladeshi cricketer
- Dilip Ghosh, Indian politician
- Dilip Ghosh (economist), American economist
- Dipu Ghosh, Indian badminton player
- Ganesh Ghosh (1900–1994), Bengali Indian independence activist, revolutionary and politician
- Jayanta Kumar Ghosh (born 1937), Indian statistician
- Jayati Ghosh (born 1955), Indian economist
- Joseph Ghosh (1869–1942), Indian educationist
- Mahesh Chandra Ghosh (1868–1930), Indian philosopher
- Malay Ghosh (born 1944), Indian statistician
- Paramahansa Yogananda, born Mukunda Lal Ghosh (1893–1952), Indian yogi and guru
- Pallab Ghosh (born 1962), Indian journalist
- Prafulla Chandra Ghosh (1891–1983), first Chief Minister of West Bengal, India
- Reshmi Ghosh, Indian beauty queen and actress
- Rabi Ghosh (1931–1997), Indian actor
- Rishab Aiyer Ghosh (born 1975), Dutch journalist, computer scientist and Open-source software advocate
- Rituparno Ghosh (1963–2013), Indian film director
- Robin Ghosh (1929–2016), Bangladeshi musician and music composer
- Sangita Ghosh (born 1976), Indian actress
- Sarat Kumar Ghosh (1878–1962), Indian civil servant and a jurist.
- Shankha Ghosh (born 1932), Indian poet
- Shankar Ghosh (1935–2016), Indian tabla player
- Sisir Kumar Ghosh (1840–1911), Indian journalist
- Sujoy Ghosh, Indian film director, actor and screenwriter
- Shreela Ghosh (born 1962), Indian arts executive and former actor
- Shibdas Ghosh (1923–1976), Indian politician
- Shiulie Ghosh (born 1968), British journalist
- Subodh Ghosh (1909–1980), Indian author and journalist
- Subroto Ghosh, Indian cricketer
- Taposh Ghosh (born 1991), Bangladeshi cricketer
- Andre Wink (1991). Al-Hind, the Making of the Indo-Islamic World, Volume 1. Brill Academic Publishers. p. 269. ISBN 978-90-04-09509-0. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- Hopkins, Thomas J. (1989). "The Social and Religious Background for Transmission of Gaudiya Vaisnavism to the West". In Bromley, David G.; Shinn, Larry D. (eds.). Krishna consciousness in the West. Bucknell University Press. pp. 35–36. ISBN 978-0-8387-5144-2. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- John R. McLane (2002). Land and Local Kingship in Eighteenth-Century Bengal. Cambridge University Press. p. 157. ISBN 978-0-5215-2654-8.
- Oh Calcutta (Volume 22 ed.). University of Virginia. 1993.
|surname Ghosh. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|