HMS Vanguard (S28)
|Ordered:||30 May 1986|
|Builder:||Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd, Barrow-in-Furness|
|Laid down:||3 September 1986|
|Launched:||4 March 1992|
|Commissioned:||14 August 1993|
|Homeport:||HMNB Clyde, Argyll, Scotland|
|Status:||In active service, as of 2016|
|Class and type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||15,900 tonnes, submerged|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||In excess of 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), submerged|
|Range:||Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
In February 2002, Vanguard began a two-year refit at HMNB Devonport. The refit was completed in June 2004 and in October 2005, Vanguard completed her return to service trials (Demonstration and Shakedown Operations) with the firing of an unarmed Trident missile. During this refit, Vanguard was boarded by a pair of anti-nuclear protesters who spent half an hour on board before being challenged. They were charged with damaging a fence which they cut to access the submarine.
In January 2012 radiation was detected in the PWR2 test reactor's coolant water, caused by a microscopic breach in fuel cladding. This discovery led to Vanguard being scheduled to be refuelled in its next "deep maintenance period", due to last 3.5 years from 2015, and contingency measures being applied to other Vanguard and Astute-class submarines, at a cost of £270 million. This was not revealed to the public until 2014.
- Letters of last resort
- List of submarines of the Royal Navy
- List of submarine classes of the Royal Navy
- Nuclear weapons and the United Kingdom
- Royal Navy Submarine Service
- Submarine-launched ballistic missile
- Trident nuclear programme
- "Vanguard class submarine". Royal Navy.
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- "Trident pair deny criminal damage". BBC News. 13 March 2003.
- Williams, Rachel (16 February 2009). "Nuclear submarines collide in Atlantic". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 16 February 2009.
- "Nuclear subs collide in Atlantic". BBC News. 16 February 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Nuclear submarine to get new core after test reactor problem". BBC News. 6 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Maddox, David (8 March 2014). "MoD accused of Dounreay radiation leak cover-up". The Scotsman. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Royal Navy HMS Vanguard (royalnavy.mod.uk)