HMS Vanguard (S28)
HMS Vanguard arrives back at HM Naval Base Clyde, Faslane, Scotland following a patrol
|Ordered:||30 May 1986|
|Builder:||Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd, Barrow-in-Furness|
|Laid down:||3 September 1986|
|Launched:||4 March 1992|
|Commissioned:||14 August 1993|
|Homeport:||HMNB Clyde, Argyll, Scotland|
|Status:||In active service, as of 2015|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||Vanguard-class submarine|
|Displacement:||15,900 tonnes, submerged|
|Length:||149.9 m (491 ft 10 in)|
|Beam:||12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||12 m (39 ft 4 in)|
|Speed:||In excess of 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph), submerged|
|Range:||Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.|
She has two crews, "Port" and "Starboard".
In February 2002, Vanguard began a two-year refit at HMNB Devonport. The refit was completed in June 2004 and in October 2005, Vanguard completed her return to service trials (Demonstration and Shakedown Operations) with the firing of an unarmed Trident missile. During this refit, Vanguard was illegally boarded by a pair of anti-nuclear protestors.
In January 2012 radiation was detected in the PWR2 test reactor's coolant water, caused by a microscopic breach in fuel cladding. This discovery led to Vanguard being scheduled to be refuelled in its next "deep maintenance period", due to last 3.5 years from 2015, and contingency measures being applied to other Vanguard and Astute class submarines, at a cost of £270 million. This was not revealed to the public until 2014.
- Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005. Jane's Information Group Limited. p. 794. ISBN 0-7106-2623-1.
- Royal Navy Vanguard class submarine, royalnavy.mod.uk
- BBC News, 13 March 2003
- Williams, Rachel (16 February 2009). "Nuclear submarines collide in Atlantic". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "Nuclear subs collide in Atlantic". BBC News. 16 February 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Nuclear submarine to get new core after test reactor problem". BBC. 6 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- David Maddox (8 March 2014). "MoD accused of Dounreay radiation leak cover-up". The Scotsman. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Royal Navy HMS Vanguard (royalnavy.mod.uk)