Haddonfield Public Schools
|Haddonfield Public Schools|
|One Lincoln Avenue|
Haddonfield, NJ 08033
|Superintendent||Dr. Larry Mussoline|
|Business administrator||Steve Burns|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||2,586 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||J|
The Haddonfield Public Schools is a comprehensive community public school district serving students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade in Haddonfield, in Camden County, New Jersey, United States.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "J", the highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
The district serves students from the Borough of Haddonfield, along with those from Pine Valley and Tavistock who attend the district's schools as part of sending/receiving relationships. The schools are funded mostly obtained through local property taxes. While most students are residents, a small number of students are taken on a tuition or voucher basis.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In 2015, Elizabeth Haddon School was one of 15 schools in New Jersey, and one of nine public schools, recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in the exemplary high performing category by the United States Department of Education.
During the 2004-05 school year, Haddonfield Memorial High School was awarded the National Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
- Elementary schools
- Central Elementary School (grades K-5; 404 students)
- Shannon Simkus - Principal
- Elizabeth Haddon Elementary School (K-5; 340)
- Gerry Bissinger - Principal
- J. Fithian Tatem Elementary School (PreK-5; 455)
- Val Cline - Principal
Each school has approximately three sections in each grade. Facilities are modern and underwent major additions several years ago. The schools all host various events around the school. All schools in Haddonfield are walkable, and many students use this as their method of getting to school.
- Middle school
- Haddonfield Middle School (6-8; 618)
- Dennis Morolda - Principal
- Sandra Horwitz - Vice Principal
The middle school serves grades 6-8. They participate in a variety of special classes, such as a 'Study Skills' class, in which they learn better skills for being organized. In 'Lifeskills' they learn how to deal with emotions and bullies. In Art class, they learn a variety of skills and work with many different materials, from clay to watercolor. In 'Technology,' students explore the world around them through technology. They use computers to design bridges and miniature houses. They also learn how to fly by using Flight Simulator. All students pick a 'World Language' to study and continue in high school the languages are Spanish, German, and French, although the students underwent a survey to expand the language programs in the future.
- High school
- Haddonfield Memorial High School (9-12; 776)
- Chuck Klaus - Principal
- Dan Licata - Assistant Principal
- Tracy Matozzo - Dean of Students
Board of education
The Haddonfield Board of Education has nine uncompensated members who serve three-year staggered terms and are chosen on a non-partisan basis. In addition to their work on the board as a whole, each board member chairs a three-member committee which meets throughout the year to discuss specific issues. Major board committees include finance, student life, buildings and grounds, and communications.
- Dr. Larry Mussoline, Superintendent
- Steve Burns, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Haddonfield School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- Staff. "No golf on Sunday? Ha! They fixed that fast", Courier-Post, May 4, 2008. Accessed June 25, 2008. "The Haddonfield Public School District serves children who live in Tavistock."
- Letter to Tavistock Borough School District, New Jersey Department of Education, June 30, 2009. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- 13 Non-Operating School Districts Eliminated, New Jersey Department of Education press release dated July 1, 2009. Accessed December 26, 2009.
- 2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools All Public and Private, National Blue Ribbon Schools Program. Accessed November 14, 2016.
- Mueller, Mark. "Which N.J. schools were named National Blue Ribbon schools?", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, September 29, 2015. Accessed November 14, 2016. "Fifteen New Jersey schools have been recognized by the federal government as National Blue Ribbon Schools, a designation that celebrates excellence in academics or progress in closing the achievement gap among groups of students.... Each of the 15 New Jersey schools was chosen for the 'exemplary high performing' category, which weighs state or national tests, high school graduation rates and the performance of subgroups of students, such as those who are economically disadvantaged."
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982 Through 2015, United States Department of Education. Accessed November 14, 2016.
- School Data for the Haddonfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Directions and Contacts, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Haddonfield Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- Central Elementary School Archived 2018-04-18 at the Wayback Machine, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- Elizabeth Haddon Elementary School Archived 2018-03-08 at the Wayback Machine, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- J. Fithian Tatem Elementary School Archived 2018-04-18 at the Wayback Machine, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- Haddonfield Middle School, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- Haddonfield Memorial High School, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed September 22, 2014.
- Board Contact Information, Haddonfield Public Schools. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for Camden County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- Haddonfield Public Schools
- Haddonfield Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Haddonfield Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- Haddonfield Youth Wrestling[permanent dead link]