Hall of Fame (song)
|"Hall of Fame"|
|Single by The Script featuring will.i.am|
|from the album #3|
|Released||20 August 2012|
|The Script singles chronology|
|will.i.am singles chronology|
"Hall of Fame" is a song by Irish pop rock band The Script. It is the lead single from their third studio album #3. The track features American hip-hop artist will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas. The track was given its first radio play on Capital on 23 July 2012. Written and co-produced by the band, the song is about following dreams and making an impact on the world. The song has been licensed for use in various media since its release.
The Script frontman Danny O'Donoghue first met will.i.am while they were both judges for The Voice UK. O'Donoghue told: "I played Will a few demos backstage early on in The Voice. We got to Hall Of Fame and he immediately asked if he could have it for his new album, as it was exactly what he was looking for. I wasn’t having it, it was our lead single but I asked if he’d be on it. He agreed and we booked in time to record it. The problem is, he’s either late or completely flakes, so it took four attempts to get to record his part. Eventually we put it together in his hotel room in 15 minutes. It’s a classic duet, I do one line and he responds." He added: "we went to the recording studio and an hour and a half later we had the song in its entirety. I thought he was going to produce it but he just gave it to me and Mark (Sheehan) and said 'you guys go and produce it'." Of the collaboration O'Donoghue said: "We were trying to play it super cool - us with will.i.am! We heard him singing some of our lines, but we still didn't know what he was going to do. We were worried he might take some of our original song out. But he just sang our words."
Lyrics and interpretation
The lyrics of "Hall of Fame" has a story in it which focuses on never giving up on your dreams. This lyrics was written by the lead singer Danny as reported in The Guardian "O'Donoghue's real metier is lyrics: he's a striking and emotional storyteller". Billboard describes the song as "a swelling, piano-driven number with an uplifting, earworm of a chorus that soars, 'Standing in the hall of fame / And the world's gonna know your name / Cause you burn with the brightest flame.'" The lead singer, Danny explains that this song was about the band as he tells "the title is mostly about us. As any geek fan of the band could tell you, we're all extremely different people, but magic happens when you mix us together. Well, magic or a car crash, which is how we describe the songs we scrap." He also said: "We wanted to inspire people to stop trying to be famous for the sake of it."
The music video of "Hall of Fame" was produced under Sony Music Entertainment UK Limited. A lyric video for the track was released on 24 July 2012. The music video was released on 19 August through the band’s official site. The accompanying music video sees the stars performing the track in a deserted warehouse, while other scenes feature an aspiring boxer and hearing-impaired ballet dancer in training.
"Hall of Fame" debuted on the Irish Singles Chart at number one. The song stayed at number 1 in Ireland for 4 weeks. This marks the band's second number-one single and fifth top-ten hit in Ireland. This song was voted as one of the top 11 Irish songs.
The single debuted at number two on the UK Singles Chart, losing the top spot to Ne-Yo's "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)", before reaching number 1 a week later, marking The Script's first UK number-one single. It spent a second week at number one in the UK, blocking Example's "Say Nothing" from reaching the top spot. It has sold 529,000 copies in 2012, the 21st best-selling single of the year in the UK. It also peaked at number 25 in the United States and was certified platinum there, and peaked at the same position in Canada. It reached 2 million in sales in the US by July 2013, and as of April 2016, the song has sold 2,912,000 copies in the US.
In Australia, "Hall of Fame" peaked at number 4 on the ARIA Singles Chart, becoming their second top five hit there. The song was certified 3x Platinum in Australia. It became their highest charting single in New Zealand, peaking at number 3 on RIANZ chart. It is the band's highest charting song worldwide.
Usage in media
"Hall of Fame" was used to advertise the return of serial dramas All My Children and One Life to Live. The song was covered on the Glee episode "All or Nothing". Masterchef Australia: The Professionals used it as the theme song in the opening credits. The song was also published in the ads section for NBC's Primetime drama, Chicago Fire. The song has also been used as the theme song for TNA Wrestling and WWE's Hall of Fame ceremonies. It has also been used at recent[when?] Arena Football League and National Football League Hall Of Fame Games. The song was used in a 2014 Omega SA commercial featuring professional golfer Rory McIlroy. In 2016, this song is used as the theme song on the Disney Princess series shorts "Dream Big, Princess" which airs on Disney Junior. The song was chosen as the theme song for "Life Without Limits" a short film about Cincinnati hosting the 37th Annual National Veterans Wheelchair Games.
- "Hall of Fame" - 3:22
- "Hall of Fame" (Jimbo Remix) - 3:02
|Australia (ARIA)||6× Platinum||420,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||15,000*|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||15,000^|
|Italy (FIMI)||2× Platinum||60,000*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||2× Platinum||30,000*|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||6× Platinum||60,000*|
|Sweden (GLF)||2× Platinum||80,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,912,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Hall of Fame hits RadioMonday 23rd".[permanent dead link]
- Smart, Gordon (21 July 2012). "Will.i.am a con-Script". The Sun. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Dean, Sarah (30 August 2012). "The Script's Danny O'Donoghue On Pouring His Heart Out And Working With 'Genius' Will.i.am For Album #3". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Wright, Jade (1 March 2013). "Writing their own Script". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "New music, as usual!". The Republica. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Sullivan, Caroline (6 September 2012). "The Script: #3 – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Blistein, Jon. "The Script Rocks The Tastemakers Roof: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "The Script - Hall of Fame ft. will.e.am". Youtube.
- Video on YouTube
- "The Script unveil new music video - watch". 23 August 2012.
- "Pitched off the airwaves: LIST OF 100 SONGS PLAYED MOST ON IRISH RADIO REVEALS LACK OF EXPOSURE FOR HOMEGROWN TALENT [Eire Region]". Sunday Times. 2013-01-13. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Dan Lane (2 January 2013). "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2012 revealed!". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- Paul Grein (17 July 2013). "Week Ending July 14, 2013. Songs: Seven For Jay-Z". Chart Watch. Yahoo.
- "Nielsen SoundScan Charts". Nielsen. April 4, 2016.
- Fairman, Michael (10 April 2013). "FIRST LOOK: One Life to Live Preview Of All-New Episodes!". Michael Fairman On-Air On-Soaps. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Multi-Platinum Dublin Rockers The Script Release Third Album Today; First Single "Hall of Fame" (featuring will.i.am) Inspires Global Audience: Headlining Tour Kicks Off Tonight at Radio City Music Hall". PR Newswire Association LLC.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Hall of Fame". 11 January 2013 – via Amazon.
- "Hall of Fame (feat. will.i.am) - Single by The Script on Apple Music". 19 August 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "The Script Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201245 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". Tracklisten.
- "Euro Digital Songs: Septempre 29, 2012". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "The Script: Hall Of Fame (Feat will.i.am)" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – The Script feat. will.i.am Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 36, 2012". Irish Singles Chart.
- "The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Italiancharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". Top Digital Download.
- "Chart Search Results - Japan Hot 100 Singles 2012-10-20". Billboard.biz. Archived from the original on 31 December 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Luxembourg Digital Songs: October 13, 2013". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Script feat. will.i.am" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall of Fame". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". VG-lista.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100.
- "Portugal Digital Songs - Peak". Billboard. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201243 into search.
- "SloTop50: Slovenian official singles weekly chart" (in Slovenian). SloTop50. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Search: Gaon International Download Chart - Issue date: 2012.08.12 - 2012.08.18". Gaon Chart. Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "The Script Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Script Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "The Script Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Billboard News".
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2012". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2012" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2012 revealed!". The Official Charts Company.
- "Top 100 Singles Jahrescharts 2013" (in German). VIVA. Viacom International Media Networks. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Top 50 Canciones Anual 2013". Promuiscae.es. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- "Best of 2013 – Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "The UK's Top 100 most downloaded tracks of all time revealed!".
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2014 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian single certifications – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall of Fame" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter The Script feat. will.i.am in the field Interpret. Enter Hall of Fame in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2013". Ultratop. Hung Medien.
- "Certificeringer" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "The Script" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Italian single certifications – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall of Fame" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart > January 14, 2013". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Troféoversikt - 2013" (in Norwegian). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry of Norway. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Veckolista Singlar - Vecka 2, 11 januari 2013" (in Swedish). Hitlistan.se. Sverigetopplistan. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "British single certifications – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Hall Of Fame in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – The Script feat. will.i.am – Hall Of Fame". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH