Horsforth Woodside railway station
|Local authority||City of Leeds|
|Number of platforms||2 (intended)|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||West Yorkshire (Metro)|
|Closed 1864||Original station|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
Horsforth Woodside is a proposed railway station that is to be built on the site of Woodside Quarry near Horsforth in West Yorkshire, England. It would have been located on the Harrogate Line near the extant Horsforth station which would also stay open. Horsforth Woodside was a very early station on the Leeds-Northallerton railway, but was closed completely in 1864. The fact that both this old closed station and the proposed new station shared the same name is a matter known to cause confusion when railway historical matters in this area are being discussed. The proposed station would serve a proposed housing development at the former Woodside Quarry as well as providing a park and ride service in to Leeds city centre.
A turn-back facility was built in 2012 at nearby Horsforth station which allows for timetabling improvements in the future. This was coupled to the intention of opening the new station at Horsforth Woodside.
In a 2014 feasibility study, the West Yorkshire Combined Authority decided not to pursue with Horsforth Woodside for a number of reasons; the opening of Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge stations on the Airedale Line (which are in the same area), its proximity to Horsforth railway station and the proposal for a Park and Ride facility at Boddington nearby. In 2015 the council plans to build 200 homes near the site so the plans have been revived to serve the area.
- "Burford Woodside Quarry" (PDF). Leeds.gov.uk. p. 5. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Cobb, M H (2003). The railways of Great Britain - a historical atlas (2 ed.). p. 396. ISBN 0711030030. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "Horsforth passengers to benefit from £16 million railway package". Ilkley Gazette. 13 November 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "New Railway Stations in North and West Yorkshire Feasibility Study" (PDF). WYMetro. 23 October 2014. p. 22. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Keith, Joseph (26 September 2015). "Call for more car parking at Leeds station". Retrieved 16 March 2017.