Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Grafton
The 11th Duke of Grafton, by Allan Warren
|Member of the House of Lords|
11 November 1970 – 11 November 1999
|Preceded by||Charles FitzRoy, 10th Duke of Grafton|
|Succeeded by||House of Lords Act 1999|
Hugh Denis Charles FitzRoy|
3 April 1919
Cape Town, Union of South Africa
7 April 2011 (aged 92)|
Euston Hall, Euston, Suffolk, England
Ann Fortune Smith (m. 1946)
Charles FitzRoy, 10th Duke of Grafton|
Lady Doreen Buxton
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
Hugh Denis Charles FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton KG DL (3 April 1919 – 7 April 2011) was the son of Charles FitzRoy, 10th Duke of Grafton, and his first wife Lady Doreen Maria Josepha Sydney Buxton, second daughter of Sydney Buxton, 1st Earl Buxton. He was known from 1936 to 1970 as the Earl of Euston.
Life and career
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was born in 1919 in Cape Town, Union of South Africa. He is one of the hundreds of descendants of Charles II of England. He descends through Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton born to the King's mistress Barbara Villiers. Charles had many children but none legitimate and after the crown passed to his brother, a Catholic who was deposed and whose progeny were excluded on that basis, save for his two daughters raised into Protestantism, the House of Stuart gave way to distant cousins the House of Hanover.
Through an ancestor Anne Warren, a daughter of Admiral Sir Peter Warren, he is a descendant of the Schuyler family, the Van Cortlandt family, and the Delancey family, all from British North America.
He was educated at Eton College and at Magdalene College, Cambridge. He was subsequently commissioned into the Grenadier Guards, and for three years from 1943 was Aide-de-camp to the Viceroy of India, Field Marshal Viscount Wavell.
The Duke of Grafton devoted much of his life to the conservation and protection of historic buildings. He was chairman and later president of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, and also chaired at various times the Historic Churches Preservation Trust, the Architectural Heritage Fund, the Church of England's Cathedral Advisory Commission and Sir John Soane's Museum.
He was a member of the Historic Buildings Council from its foundation in 1953, and until he succeeded his father as duke in 1970, he was the National Trust's administrator for Sussex and Kent, and later East Anglia. He was also vice-chairman of the National Portrait Gallery.
Marriage and children
- James Oliver Charles Fitzroy, Earl of Euston (13 December 1947 – 1 October 2009), married Lady Claire Amabel Margaret Kerr, daughter of The 12th Marquess of Lothian, and had issue, one son, Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton, and four daughters: Louise, Emily, Charlotte, and Isobel. The eldest daughter, Lady Louise FitzRoy, is now married to Charles Vaughan and has a daughter, Cristabel. Lady Emily married Conor Mullan and has a daughter, Constance.
- Lady Henrietta Fortune Doreen FitzRoy, now Lady Henrietta St. George (born 14 September 1949), married Edward St. George (deceased) and has a son, Henry, and a daughter, Katie.
- Lady Virginia Mary Elizabeth FitzRoy, now Lady Virginia FitzRoy (born 10 April 1954), married (and divorced) Lord Ralph Kerr, son of Peter Kerr, 12th Marquess of Lothian; remarried, but has no issue.
- Lord Charles Patrick Hugh FitzRoy (born 7 January 1957), married Diana Miller-Stirling, and has two sons, Nico and George.
- Lady (Olivia) Rose Mildred FitzRoy, now Lady Rose Monson (born 1 August 1963), married Guy Monson, an investment funds manager, and has two daughters, Olivia and Leonora.
|Ancestors of Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton|
- Charles Mosley, ed. (2004). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage. II (107 ed.). pp. 1616–19. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- National Portrait Gallery. "Hugh Denis Charles Fitzroy, 11th Duke of Grafton". Collections subjects. Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- ThePeerage.com page 245 http://www.thepeerage.com/p245.htm#i2442 Accessed March 14, 2015.
- "No. 46885". The London Gazette. 27 April 1976. p. 6047.
- The Daily Telegraph (London) 10 April 2011, Death Announcements, online 
- Dylan Lobo (19 April 2008). "Fund Manager Profile: Sarasin's Guy Monson". City Wire.[permanent dead link] According to this story, Lady Rose Monson works at Trinity Hospice, London. The Monsons' daughters are Olivia and Leonora.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton.|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Grafton
- Pedigree at Genealogics
|Peerage of England|
Charles Alfred Euston FitzRoy
| Duke of Grafton
Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy