Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Grafton
|Duke of Grafton, by Allan Warren|
|Born||Hugh Denis Charles FitzRoy
3 April 1919
Cape Town, Cape
|Died||7 April 2011
|Spouse(s)||Ann Fortune Smith (1946–2011; his death)|
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
Hugh Denis Charles FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton KG DL (3 April 1919 – 7 April 2011) was the son of Charles FitzRoy, 10th Duke of Grafton, and his first wife Lady Doreen Maria Josepha Sydney Buxton, second daughter of Sydney Buxton, 1st Earl Buxton. He was known until 1970 as the Earl of Euston.
He was a descendant of Charles II of England, through the Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton, the illegitimate son of King Charles II by his mistress Barbara Villiers. The FitzRoys are thus a direct but illegitimate line of the House of Stuart.
He was educated at Eton College and at Magdalene College, Cambridge. He was subsequently commissioned into the Grenadier Guards, and for three years from 1943 was Aide-de-camp to the Viceroy of India, Field Marshal Viscount Wavell.
Grafton devoted much of his life to the conservation and protection of historic buildings. He was chairman and later president of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, and also chaired at various times the Historic Churches Preservation Trust, the Architectural Heritage Fund, the Church of England's Cathedral Advisory Commission and Sir John Soane's Museum.
He was a member of the Historic Buildings Council from its foundation in 1953, and until he succeeded his father in 1970 he was the National Trust's administrator for Sussex and Kent, and later East Anglia. He was also vice-chairman of the National Portrait Gallery.
Marriage and children
- James Oliver Charles Fitzroy, Earl of Euston (13 December 1947 – 1 October 2009), married Lady Claire Amabel Margaret Kerr, daughter of the 12th Marquess of Lothian and had issue, one son (Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton), and four daughters Louise, Emily, Charlotte and Isobel. The eldest daughter Lady Louise FitzRoy is now married to Charles Vaughan and has a daughter, Cristabel. Lady Emily married Conor Mullan and has a daughter, Constance.
- Lady Henrietta Fortune Doreen FitzRoy, now Lady Henrietta St. George (born 14 September 1949), married Edward St. George (deceased) and has a son, Henry, and a daughter, Katie.
- Lady Virginia Mary Elizabeth FitzRoy, now Lady Virginia FitzRoy (born 10 April 1954), married (and divorced) Lord Ralph Kerr, son of Peter Kerr, 12th Marquess of Lothian; remarried, but has no issue.
- Lord Charles Patrick Hugh FitzRoy (born 7 January 1957), married Diana Miller-Stirling, and has two sons, Nico and George.
- Lady (Olivia) Rose Mildred FitzRoy, now Lady Rose Monson (born 1 August 1963), married Guy Monson, an investment funds manager, and has two daughters, Olivia and Leonora.
|Ancestors of Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton|
- Charles Mosley, ed. (2004). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage II (107 ed.). pp. 1616–1619. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- National Portrait Gallery. "Hugh Denis Charles Fitzroy, 11th Duke of Grafton". Collections subjects. Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- ThePeerage.com page 245 http://www.thepeerage.com/p245.htm#i2442 Accessed March 14, 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 27 April 1976. Retrieved 16 May 2010.
- The Daily Telegraph (London) 10 April 2011, Death Announcements, online 
- Dylan Lobo (19 April 2008). "Fund Manager Profile: Sarasin's Guy Monson". City Wire. According to this story, Lady Rose Monson works at Trinity Hospice, London. The Monsons' daughters are Olivia and Leonora.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton.|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Grafton
- Pedigree at Genealogics
|Peerage of England|
Charles Alfred Euston FitzRoy
|Duke of Grafton
Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy