|Native name||板野 一郎|
March 11, 1959|
Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
|Occupation||Animator, director, producer|
|Known for||Mechanical animation director on several Macross projects|
|Notable work||Angel Cop, Battle Royal High School, Blassreiter|
Ichirō Itano (板野 一郎 Itano Ichirō, born March 11, 1959 in Yokohama, Kanagawa) is a Japanese animator, director, and producer. He has worked in a number of science fiction anime series, especially mecha-themed ones. He created several original video animations including Angel Cop, and Battle Royal High School. He directed on Megazone 23. He also directed on a number of episodes and films related to Macross. He also directed Gantz, and worked on series composition and direction for Blassreiter.
Itano is best known among anime fans for a style of action scene that he developed, usually nicknamed "Itano Circus" (板野サーカス Itano sākasu) or "Macross missile massacre" by fans; it refers to a highly stylized and acrobatic method of depicting aerial combat and dogfights in many anime, particularly the Macross series. The animated action sequence technique became famous when Itano used it for the "dogfights" depicted in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross anime TV series from 1982. The Itano Circus is characterized by detailed, fluid shading of the mecha, the close-range acrobatic moves the dueling fighters make in combat, as well as twisting contrails left by fighters and missiles. It is also commonly used in specific reference to an attack where a mecha or spaceship launches a large swarm of guided missiles with meticulously animated spiraling smoke trails and erratic trajectories and its target is repeatedly dodging those missiles at a high speed.
|1981–82||Mobile Suit Gundam||Animator||film series|
|1982||Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked||Animator|
|1982–83||The Super Dimension Fortress Macross||Mechanical animation director|||
|1984||Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer||Original picture|
|1984||Macross: Do You Remember Love?||Drawing director|
|1985–86||Megazone 23||Storyboard, Unit Director, Drawing Director, Action Director||OVAs and films|
|1987||Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise||Key animation|||
|1987||Battle Royal High School||Director, screenplay, storyboard|||
|1992||Star Dust||Original draft, Director|
|1994||Macross Plus||Special skills director||Also film version in 1995|
|1999||Mito's Great Adventure: The Two Queens||Mecha design, CG Supervisor|
|3D motion director|
|2002||Macross Zero||Special skills director|
|2008||Blassreiter||Series composition, Director|||
|2014||Expelled from Paradise||Motion Advisor|
|2015||Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin||Producer, Painting Story (Avant Animation)||OVA|||
- "Macross Compendium Memories: Ichiro Itano". macross.anime.net. November 21, 2004. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "N. Carolina's Animazement to Host Mecha Director Ichiro Itano". Anime News Network. April 21, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "アニメ / メディア芸術データベース – 板野+一郎" [Anime / Media Arts Database (search results) – Ichiro Itano]. Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Japan: Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Anime Limited Licenses Wings of Honneamise Film". Anime News Network. May 22, 2014. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "AnimEigo's Battle Royal High School License Expires". Anime News Network. August 23, 2011. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Battle Royal High School Liner Notes - AnimEigo". archive.animeigo.com. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Gonzo, Nitroplus, Gantz Director Working on New Anime". Anime News Network. November 5, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Gundam: The Origin Casts Mayumi Tanaka as Casval/Young Char". Anime News Network. November 21, 2014. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Ichiro Itano convention appearances on AnimeCons.com
- Ichiro Itano at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Ichirô Itano on IMDb
- Ichiro Itano in Macross Compendium
|This article about one or more people who work in the anime industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|