JMF Elite Forces
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Johor Military Elite Forces|
|Active||7 July 2008 - present|
|Branch||Royal Johor Military Force|
|Role||Counter-terrorism and close protection|
|Garrison/HQ||Istana Besar, Johor Bahru|
|Motto(s)||Pantas, Berani, Setia!
(English: Fast, Brave and Loyalty)
|DYAM Tunku Ismail Idris|
|Sultan of Johor||Sultan Ibrahim Ismail|
The Johor Military Elite Forces is a special forces unit in Malaysia placed under the responsibility of the Royal Johor Military Force with the mandate of providing security and protection to the Royal Family of Johor, counter-terrorism and special reconnaissance in any incidents involving the state of Johor.
The JMF commando unit was establieshe on 7 July 2008, by DYAM Tunku Ismail Idris, Prince of the Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor who at that time was the JMF 2nd Staff Operations Officer and Training. He felt the need for a specific doctrine in JMF organisations to establish a special forces capable of performing certain tasks efficiently. The establishment was also intended to provide the best personal security protection to the Johor Royal family.
To realise the objective, he and 20 senior officers and members who passed the JMF were trained in the selection of counter-terrorism courses Grup Gerak Khas special forces in three months at Fort Iskandar, Mersing, Johor. The courses were conducted with technical assistance and expertise provided by the Yankee Alpha Squadron and include the basic knowledge and specific skills appropriate to their duties as a special close protection to the Sultan of Johor Royal family.
The JMF Elite Forces establishment has several objectives, including identifying the best members of the JMF to participate in special teams and making them competent to perform specific tasks and develop self-esteem and level of JMF military discipline either on or off duty. The establishment seeks a friendly relationship other Malaysian special forces to share experiences and knowledge that will indirectly enhance existing professionalism. DYAM Tunku Ismail, Prince of Sultan Ibrahim of Johor, has a vision to see the establishment of the Elite Forces based on the JMF goals he outlined. One of them is making this a team that is able to perform the duties and responsibilities effectively, and the establishment of this as a springboard for the modernisation of the existing JMF service.
JMF Elite Forces are mandated to provide close protection duties for the following people:
- Sultan of Johor, former and current
- Sultanah of Johor, former and current
- Prince of Johor and Princess of Johor
- Other Royal families of Johor
- Minister of Johor
- Foreign VIPs such as heads of states, ambassadors, etc.
DYAM Tunku Ismail Idris of Johor with two senior officers and 18 other ranks members have undergone basic training and expertise of the Grup Gerak Khas for three months including:
- Special infiltration and reconnaissance course
- Sniper course
- Close quarters combat
- Combat diving
- Counter-sniper tactics
- Combat search and rescue
- Fighting in built-up areas
- Hostage rescue
- Military operations on urbanized terrain
- Close protection
- Special demolitions
- Explosive ordnance disposal
DYAM Tunku Ismail himself was trained as an expert rifle sniper with excellent handling.
Weapons and equipment
- Austria: Glock 17
- Switzerland: SIG Sauer P226
- United States: Remington 870
- Switzerland: Brügger & Thomet MP9
- Germany: Heckler & Koch MP5
- United States: Colt M16A4
- Switzerland: SIG SG 553 SOW
- United Kingdom: Accuracy International Arctic Warfare
- SPECTRA helmet
- Blackhawk Tactical Vest Type IV
- Nomex battle dress uniform
- Magnum Stealth II tactical boots
The duties and responsibilities
The JMF Elite Forces Commando has a different range of duties to the JMF unit. Their duties include:
- Keeping the security and protection of the Johor royal family, especially the Sultan of Johor, His Sultanah Johor, DYAM Prince of Johor and the Johor royal family who received the title.
- To act as an escort VIPs to dignitaries and VIP guests, especially among the Royal Johor.
- Implementation of privacy and confidentiality of operations that are necessary from time to time.
- Being tactical deploy units that can respond at any time.
- To act as a unit furtherance to the JMF.
- Being an observer in the work of special intelligence and reconnaissance.
- Combating terrorists who commit violence in the area of responsibility and hostage rescue movement can be made if necessary.