James Yimm Lee
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|James Yimm Lee|
Instructor of chinese martial arts
|Born||January 31, 1920|
Oakland, California, USA
|Died||December 30, 1972 (aged 52)|
Hayward, California, USA
|Style||Wing Chun |
Jun Fan Gung Fu
|Teacher(s)||T.Y. Wong |
|Occupation||martial artist, welder, US Army veteran|
(m. 1951; died 1964)
James Yimm Lee (January 31, 1920 – December 30, 1972) was an American martial arts pioneer, teacher, author, and publisher. James Lee is known for being a mentor, teacher and friend of the Bruce Lee.
He was one of Bruce Lee's (no relation) three personally certified 3rd rank instructors and co-founded the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute in Oakland where he taught Jun Fan Gung Fu in Bruce's absence. James was responsible for introducing Bruce Lee to Ed Parker, the organizer of the Long Beach International Karate Championships where Bruce was first introduced to the martial arts community.
James Lee became well known for his Iron Palm specialty, and would routinely break bricks at demonstrations. He was the first to publish an Iron Palm book in America in 1957.
Lee was a well-established author and was one of the first to publish martial arts books in English in America. He also helped Bruce Lee publish his first book, "Chinese Gung-Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self Defense." James Lee's published books include: Modern Kung-Fu Karate: Iron Poison Hand Training, Book 1 (Break Brick in 100 Days), Wing Chun Kung-Fu , and Secret Fighting Arts of the Orient.
Lee married Katherine Margaret Chow in October 13, 1951 in Nevada, they had at least two children, a daughter Karena Lee and a son Greglon Yimm Lee.
His wife Katherine died in 1964.
James Lee died aged 52 on 30 December 1972 due to lung cancer caused by welding fumes, only about 7 months before the death of Bruce Lee.
- Kung Fu Tea Blog from Gregglon Lee in the Book Striking Distance : Bruce Lee and the dawn of martial arts
- Lee, James (1962). Modern Kung-Fu Karate: Iron Poison Hand Training, Book 1 (Break Brick in 100 Days) (4th edition (April 1990) ed.). ABRAMS Publishing. ISBN 978-0-317-02839-3.
- Lee, James (1972). Wing Chun Kung-Fu (First ed.). Ohara Publications. ASIN B0006C4USK.
- Bruce Lee : between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do, Jesse Glover
-  USA Dojo biography, James Yimm Lee
- Black Belt Magazine, Meet...the Man who Helped Make Bruce Lee a Success
|This biographical article relating to American martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|