Jarvis Moss in October 2006.
August 3, 1984 |
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||260 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Denton (TX) Billy Ryan|
|NFL Draft:||2007 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Jarvis Jaray Moss (born August 3, 1984) is an American former college and professional football player who was a defensive end in the National Football League (NFL) for five seasons. He played college football for the University of Florida, received All-American honors, and was a member of a BCS National Championship team in 2006. Moss was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft, and played professionally for the Broncos and Oakland Raiders.
Moss was born in Denton, Texas in 1984. He attended Billy Ryan High School in Denton, where he was instrumental in helping the Ryan Raiders win their first Texas Class 4A state championship. He played in the 2003 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, and was recognized as a Parade magazine high school All-American.
Moss accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Ron Zook and coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football teams from 2004 to 2006.
Memorably, Moss blocked two crucial kicks in the fourth quarter of the Gators' 2006 victory over the South Carolina Gamecocks. The first block stopped a Gamecock point after touchdown (PAT) to keep South Carolina's lead at 16–10. The second was a block of a would-be game-winning field goal for South Carolina with eight seconds left on the game clock, and secured a 17–16 victory for the Gators. He was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly after the 2006 season.
2007 NFL Draft
The Denver Broncos traded up in the draft with the Jacksonville Jaguars to select Moss 17th overall. The Jaguars used the pick from the Broncos to select Reggie Nelson, one of Moss' Florida Gators college teammates.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 1⁄2 in
|4.70 s||1.52 s||2.68 s||4.18 s||7.06 s||30 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 0 in
|All values from NFL Combine, except 20-ss and 3-cone, which are from Florida Pro Day (March 7, 2007).|
Bench press: 365 lbs
Squat: 415 lbs 
During the 2007 season, Moss played in six games for the Denver Broncos. He recorded 12 tackles and 1 sack. Moss broke his shin in practice on November 1, 2007, and was placed on injured reserve on November 2, 2007, ending his season.
The Broncos' new defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, moved Moss to outside linebacker, after he had spent his entire NFL career as a defensive end. During the 2009 training camp, it was reported that Moss was contemplating retirement because of struggles adapting to the defensive schemes. After several days of contemplation, Moss returned to practice and made the Broncos' 53-man roster after a pre-season performance that included three tackles, one sack and one forced fumble. After All-Pro Elvis Dumervil's potentially season-ending injury, Moss was announced to be the top candidate to take over as the starting outside linebacker.
On November 17, 2010, Moss was released by the Denver Broncos. On November 23, 2010, Moss was signed by the Oakland Raiders to play defensive end, replacing the injured Trevor Scott. On July 26, the Raiders resigned Moss to a one-year, $1.25 million contract. He played in thirteen games during the 2011 season, all but one of them in reserve. Following the season, his one-year contract expired and he became a free agent.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- 2006 College Football All-America Team
- 2006 Florida Gators football team
- List of Denver Broncos first-round draft picks
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Jarvis Moss Archived 2011-05-19 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2006 Roster, Jarvis Moss Archived 2011-10-06 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 98, 154, 184 (2011). Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Broncos Trade Up, Select Jarvis Moss BroncoTalk. Retrieved on 2007-07-12.
- NFL Draft Scout.com%5d "Jarvis Moss" Check
|url=value (help). NFL Draft Scout.com. March 25, 2007. Retrieved April 15, 2009.
- CBS Sports.com
- Sports Network[permanent dead link]
- NFL Transactions
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Jarvis Moss. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Roshan Bhagat, "2012 NFL Free Agent Defensive Linemen," Football's Future (undated). Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Jamaal Anderson Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Jarvis Moss – Florida Gators player profile