Jatt & Juliet
|Jatt & Juliet|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anurag Singh|
|Produced by||Darshan Singh Grewal|
Gunbir Singh Sidhu
|Screenplay by||Dheeraj Rattan|
|Music by||Jatinder Shah|
Nick Dhammu Background Score=Raju Rao
|Edited by||Manish More|
|Distributed by||White Hill Studios|
|Box office||₹24.85 crore|
Jatt & Juliet is an Indian Punjabi-language romantic comedy directed by Anurag Singh and produced by Darshan Singh Grewal and Gunbir Singh Sidhu. The film stars Diljit Dosanjh opposite Neeru Bajwa. It was released to theaters on 29 June 2012. Upon release, the film became a massive blockbuster at the box office and also won multiple awards at the PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2013 including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress. The film also spawned a sequel the following year, titled Jatt & Juliet 2 featuring most of the same cast and crew. The sequel also broke records at the box office, and ended up becoming the highest-grossing Punjabi film ever. It was remade in Bengali in 2014 as Bangali Babu English Mem.
Fateh Singh (Diljit Dosanjh), an Indian villager is crazy about marrying a Canadian girl to get the citizenship of Canada while on the other side Pooja (Neeru Bajwa) a classy modern girl wants to go to Canada to study fashion designing. They both first meet at the passport office where Fateh asks Pooja to fill his form because his hand was injured which he was pretending because of his lack of English. They both again meet at the airport Pooja and Fateh always have fight due to Fateh's lies. Pooja looks for a nice accommodation where she finds a nice house and while getting money out of the ATM, she gets robbed by two thugs. Unfortunately, Pooja has to look for cheaper place where she meets Fateh again and has to share that apartment with him. A day arrives when Jenny a Canadian Caucasian girl, arrives to the house where Pooja and Fateh are living as she is the step-daughter of the house owner. Pooja asks Fateh to propose Jenny and they both start making plans how to get Jenny for Fateh, but when fateh comes to know that Jenny is going to Africa for social service, he ditches her and poor Jenny is left heartbroken. The owner of the house throws both of them out and they work at two different Apna Chulha restaurants that are run by wife and husband, who are not together now. Fateh and Pooja soon come to know that the Apna Chulha is going to be re-possessed by the bank because of six unpaid property payments for the loan. Fateh and Pooja work out the process of re-joining the husband and wife together so that the loan could be paid off. Slowly, Fateh and Pooja start falling for each other but both of them don't want to admit it. Fateh realises that he loves Pooja when Pooja's fiancé, Yuvraj comes to take Pooja with him to India for their marriage. Finally Fateh leaves for India with a hope to bring Pooja back to his life but after watching Pooja has been married he is left heart broken. After a while, he meets Yuvraj who tells him that Pooja is still single and Fateh runs to propose Pooja and they live happily ever after.
- Diljit Dosanjh as Fateh Singh
- Neeru Bajwa as Pooja
- Rana Ranbir as Shampy
- Sari Mercer as Jennifer (Jenny)
- Upasana Singh as Channo
- Jaswinder Bhalla as Joginder Singh
- Karamjit Anmol as Natha
- B.N. Sharma as Shampy's father
- Anita Kailey as Jaswinder (Jazzy)
- Amrinder Gill as Yuvraj Singh (Guest appearance)
- Isha Rikhi as Twinkle, Yuvraj's wife
- Lakhwinder Sandhu as Bhola (Lakhwinder Singh)
- Balinder Johal as the Kathy (Landlord)
- Anita Devgan as Fateh's mother
- Amrit Billa as Fateh's Father
- Tarsem Paul as Pooja's Father
- Sunita Dheer as Pooja's mother
Jatt & Juliet collected Rs 8 million on its first day in Punjab and Rs 22.7 million in its opening weekend. It set a record for the first week box office by collecting of Rs 47 million (Rs 43 million East Punjab + Rs 4 million Delhi/UP) and in its second weekend it collected Rs 20 million plus to become the highest grossing Punjabi Film with a collection of Rs 67.5 million in just 10 days! After four weeks of release it has grossed a total of Rs 108 million from the East Punjab territory, which is the 3rd highest total in that territory in the history of Indian Cinema, only behind Shah Rukh Khan's Ra.One and Don 2. The total 4-week collection for Jatt and Juliet in India was approximately Rs 121 million and the film ultimately grossed an estimated ₹200 million throughout India.
- Punjab: Rs 125 million (5-week total)
- Delhi/UP: Rs 15 million (5-week total)
- UK: Rs 12.9 million (7-week total)
- Australia: Rs 27 million (4-week total)
- New Zealand: Rs 3 million (3-week total)
In September 2012 it was announced that there would be a sequel to Jatt & Juliet, entitled simply Jatt & Juliet 2. The movie marks the first time a Punjabi film has had a sequel made. The film was released on 28 June 2013 and was featuring much of the same cast, including of Diljit Dosanjh as Fateh Singh and Neeru Bajwa as Pooja and crew of the first film. The theatrical trailer released on 23 May 2013. It smashed all box office records of that time. The film received rave reviews from the critics as well.
2013 PTC Punjabi Film Awards
Jatt & Juliet won seven awards at the PTC Punjabi Film Awards in 2013.
|Best Film||Darshan Pal Singh Grewal & Gunbir Singh Sidhu|
|Best Director||Anurag Singh|
|Best Actor||Diljit Dosanjh|
|Best Actress||Neeru Bajwa|
|Best Supporting Actress||Upasna Singh|
|Most Popular Song of the Year||Pooja Kiven Aa - Sharry Mann|
|Best Screenplay||Dheeraj Rattan|
|1||"Fatto"||Diljit Dosanjh||Kumar||Jatinder Shah|
|2||"Hi Fi Juliet"||Diljit Dosanjh||Kumar||Jatinder Shah|
|3||"Kuriye Mind Na Karin"||Diljit Dosanjh||Veet Baljit||Jatinder Shah|
|4||"Challi Vangra Judai"||Sukhwinder Singh||Raj Kakra||Jatinder Shah|
|5||"Bachaa"||Diljit Dosanjh||Veet Baljit||Jatinder Shah|
|6||"Pooja Kiven Aa"||Sharry Maan||Sharry Maan||Nick Dhammu|
|7||"Main Jaagaan Swere"||Diljit Dosanjh||Jaggi Singh||Jatinder Shah|
- "Jatt and Juliet 2 makes a record collection at the box office". http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 26 July 2013. External link in
- "All Punjabi Movies Box Office Collection List".
- Punjab, Cine (1 March 2013). "PTC Film Awards 2013". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Jatt and Juliet has the Biggest Punjabi Film Opening". Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Jatt and Juliet set to cross Rs10 Crores". Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Jatt and Juliet is the Biggest Punjabi Grosser". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet Continues With Mind Boggling Collections". boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet 4 Week Total Collections". boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 4 September 2012. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet Punjab & Delhi UP 4 Week Box Office". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Jatt & Juliet 4 weeks World Wide Box Office Collections". Movie Weaver. 31 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt & Juliet 7 Weeks UK". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt and Juliet 4 Weeks Australia". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt and Juliet 3 @ Weeks New Zealand". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- Ballewood, My. "Jatt and Juliet 2 smashes box office records". My Ballewood.
- Ballewood, My. "Review - Jatt and Juliet 2".
- "Salman Khan to remake Diljit-starrer Punbaji film 'Jatt and Juliet' in Hindi?". 21 March 2016. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Sunny Leone in Jatt & Juliet remake".